Man Asks For Weed On Twitter, Local Police Tweet Response, Hilarity Ensues

from the high-guys dept

Look, when it comes to illicit narcotics, I don’t know a whole lot beyond the peyote-driven walkabouts my heroin-addicted cult leader sends me on with requests to make sure I pick up all the mushrooms along the way. Still, even in my ignorance, I have to think there’s a better way to score some coolness than putting the pot-signal out on Twitter. I mean, isn’t there a high school or college in the area?

Apparently not for one man in Canada, where I could have sworn enforcement of marijuana crimes was handled in the same way as jay-walking. Unfortunately for him, but very fortunately for the rest of us, the local police were users of both Twitter and humor.
The young man, posting under the user name Sunith Baheerathan, was apparently at work on Tuesday when he wrote, "Any dealers in Vaughan wanna make a 20sac chop? Come to Keele/Langstaff Mr. Lube, need a spliff or two to help me last this open to close."

The York Regional Police noticed the post — which has since been removed — and replied: "Awesome! Can we come too?"
While I tend to have some trust issues with police (But not with the local Chicago police! Swear to god, you guys are the dog's bollocks and all that. I haven’t heard a gunshot in hours! Progress!), I can still appreciate when police mix a refusal to overreact to a situation with a little humor. So, apparently, can lots of other people, since the exchange between Sunith and the YRP was retweeted approximately a gazillion times. Guess who happened to be among the YRP’s Twitter followers?
By Tuesday evening, Mr. Lube tweeted, "Thank you to the York Regional Police for your help and great work. The matter has now been handled."
Sunith Baheerathan also tweeted: "Just got the call of termination."
Since then, Sunith has made much noise about how his tweets weren’t serious and how he didn’t know weed-smokers were hated by society more than “shooters and rapists,” two statements which both seem to contradict one another, while also making me wonder how many Canadian police departments are gleefully responding to tweets about shooting and raping folks, but I digress. The lesson here is you shouldn’t try to score drugs on Twitter.

jeh, Aug 15th, 2013 @ 4:19pm

I think it was a bit of a mix up. That the YRP actually wanted to score a baggie too. Poor guys, they had to finish out their shift without a bit of silliness and nothing to go with their stock of munchies. What do Canadians get for munchies, I wonder.

cy9, Aug 15th, 2013 @ 4:28pm

^Poutine, of course!

trelly, Aug 15th, 2013 @ 4:29pm

They get Poutine. Yum, even without artificially induced munchies.

trelly, Aug 15th, 2013 @ 4:30pm

Ha! Beaten that fast!

Anonymous Coward, Aug 15th, 2013 @ 4:32pm

...... Its time for another Good Idea, Bad Idea.

Good Idea:
    Meeting like minded individuals on Twitter to share a good time with.

Bad Idea:
    Meeting police on Twitter to share drugs with.

The End

Capitalist Lion Tamer (profile), Aug 15th, 2013 @ 4:43pm

Brett Easton-Ellis once asked for some blow on Twitter. Didn't seem to draw nearly as much attention from the police.

Anonymous Coward, Aug 15th, 2013 @ 4:48pm

This has been an exciting month for Twitter, with both the Carlos Danger and Canadian Weed Seeker scandals.

How can these possibly be topped? Are we going to see a married politician tweeting naked pictures of himself while holding up a sign that says "Any dealers want to bring me a bag? I need a spliff or two to get through the next couple hours of nude tweeting."

Anonymous Coward, Aug 15th, 2013 @ 5:26pm

Huh. So Canadian police have naught anything better to di than troll twitter.

That is funny.

Anonymous Coward, Aug 15th, 2013 @ 5:44pm

and now the guys twitter account has been taken over by AnonOpsMob?

Anonymous Coward, Aug 15th, 2013 @ 7:58pm

Silly Malayalee. വടി കൊടുത്തു അടി മേടിച്ച്ചല്ലോ, മോനെ.

Anonymous Coward, Aug 15th, 2013 @ 8:44pm

they just wanted to join in

lol

Anonymous Coward, Aug 16th, 2013 @ 2:52am

If you are an american psycho, I guess rules are pretty unimportant!

Anonymous Coward, Aug 16th, 2013 @ 3:31am

According to my research watching the Trailer Park Boys they like chicken or dill pickle flavored potato chips, beef sticks and chicken strips.

Ninja (profile), Aug 16th, 2013 @ 3:40am

Well, at least the police is monitoring for relevant stuff. In the US it would be something like this on tweeter:

Person: "Hey grandpa can I miss those amazing ribs on the barbecue you make, can I drop by your home this weekend so we'll cook one and have fun?"
    NSA: Awesome! Can we come too?

Because... relevant.

Ninja (profile), Aug 16th, 2013 @ 3:42am

aha there's an extra can in the first line =/

Anonymous Coward, Aug 16th, 2013 @ 3:51am

The twitter interjection by the police was funny.

Don't understand why the guy lost his job and that isn't funny.

Does Mr Lube think that their customers choose them due to some kind of understanding that their mechanics unlike almost everyone else in society never smoke weed?

Anonymous Coward, Aug 16th, 2013 @ 4:30am

I think the like "Dressed all over and zesty mordant" flavour doritos.

Michael, Aug 16th, 2013 @ 4:46am

Granted, we do not know if he was an office worker or ran heavy machinery, but as someone who manages employees, I would certainly be on-board with firing someone for making an attempt to get high while at work.

Anonymous Coward, Aug 16th, 2013 @ 5:09am

Ketchup Chips

Mark Harrill (profile), Aug 16th, 2013 @ 5:37am

Poutine is their munchie of choice. While watching hockey of course...

Anonymous Coward, Aug 16th, 2013 @ 5:48am

The issue here is that he was asking for weed to smoke at work and asked to be met at his workplace.

He's a mechanic. That means working with heavy machinery. Personally, I'd rather the guy working on my car NOT be stoned thank you.

Mr Lube was perfectly right in firing his ass.

While the cops did not arrest him (the tweet and request were completely legal, their response was awesome), they did make his employer aware that he was showing some pretty bad judgement that would directly affect his business. This is fine.

It's not like the guy was being a moron on his own time, then that would have crossed the line. No, he was asking for weed to be brought AT HIS JOB, to smoke WHILE HE WORKED. It's a righteous firing.

Anonymous Coward, Aug 16th, 2013 @ 6:10am

getting high at work is throws into "Not cool at all" territory.

While I avoid lube shops with a vengeance since they are all freaking crooks... I tend to avoid places that have drugs deals going down that I can see. Because if it's that brazen the area might not be the safest place in the world.

Anonymous Coward, Aug 16th, 2013 @ 6:13am

Unfortunately the dude deserved to lose his job regardless if he was serious or not. Mr. Lube doesn't want the image that their mechanics are all high while working on people's cars. If he said meet him after work or something like that, then I might have a bit of an issue with the firing but he said he wanted to get high at work - that was just silly of him.

Anonymous Coward, Aug 16th, 2013 @ 6:16am

Haha, the only place you may be safe in Canada then is at a police station - and even that's a maybe. Weed exchanges hands in Canada everywhere, out in the open.

Chris in Utah (profile), Aug 16th, 2013 @ 9:47am

shouldn’t try to score drugs on Twitter.

.. at least till dispensaries in legal states have a delivery service.

Gwiz (profile), Aug 16th, 2013 @ 1:14pm

I need a spliff or two...

I find it funny that Canadians still use the word "spliff". The last time I used that term was sometime in the eighties I think.

Anonymous Coward, Aug 16th, 2013 @ 2:13pm

I guess that depends on what their image already is.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/garage-name-causes-friction-in-world-of-auto-lub rication/article4352972/

I'd rather people thought that my mechanics were happy and relaxed if a bit peckish, than that I was the kind of asshole who thinks they own the word lube.

Sunhawk, Aug 19th, 2013 @ 12:57am

My take: regardless of legality, you shouldn't be boozing or getting high on the job.

PRMan, Aug 27th, 2013 @ 5:19am