Solution: The Copy Culture Cryptic Crossword
from the filling-in-the-blanks dept
Last Saturday, I posted The Copy Culture Cryptic Crossword, just in case there were any cryptic fans in the Techdirt audience. It turns out there are quite a few, including at least one AC who almost solved it in less than 24 hours. All in all it was a great response, and while I can't promise regular cryptics on Techdirt, I will definitely try to put another one together in the not-too-distant future.
But, for now, it's time to reveal the solution to last week's puzzle. The completed grid is below, followed by a list of answers. I've used some basic notation to show how the answers were arrived at wherever it's easy to do so in a self-explanatory way; as for the rest, I'll answer any questions (and accept any criticisms for sloppy clue-writing) in the comments! One reasonable concern was already raised, which is that BMG is not quite a "collection society" by definition, and on that one I offer a mea culpa.
1. Kick start (4)
3. Right after six, America gets infection (5)
6. With acknowledgements, reveals modification (4)
8. Collaborated on and bragged about bad grade at bad church (12)
10. Software publishers initially bemoan slow adoption (3)
11. Television standard is oddly not a sect (4)
13. Terrible prefix and terrific prefix for the obsolete (4)
15. Note measurement for collection society (3)
16. Cultural commons remixed old iambic pun (6,6)
17. Activists cut short, shortly (4)
18. Amended drier amendment (5)
19. Bully sacrifices rights for a fee (4)