An Economic Guide To Trading Your Halloween Candy

from the trick-or-treat dept

If you look through all the Techdirt posts tagged for Halloween, it will take you about two minutes. There just isn't a whole lot of them. That needs to change, considering that Halloween is the second best holiday next to Thanksgiving. I mean come on, if you're a kid, you get to utilize an old Irish festival called Samhain to dress up as friggin' Iron Man. And if you're an adult, you still dress up like Iron Man, but you've also got chalk odds in favor of running into other adults who clearly spent so much money on their costumes that they couldn't also afford dignity.

Still, Techdirt is all about economics, right? Frankly, my first brush with the satanic art of econ was almost certainly Halloween, or rather post-Halloween, because that's when the front of my grade school ceased to be a gathering of innocent children and instead turned into an unholy candy stock exchange. Hell, Gordon Gecko would have been eaten alive. So, I offer up for all of you this Hallow's Eve a little distraction from the serious: Buzzfeed's The Guide To Trading Candy:

Happy Halloween, Techdirters!

Zakida Paul (profile), Oct 31st, 2012 @ 4:12pm

Careful

I'm not sure you have the right to resell your candy. You could end up getting sued.

Michael, Oct 31st, 2012 @ 4:16pm

Re: Careful

As far as I am aware most Halloween candy is not labeled for individual resale (warning: I don't bother reading that smuggy fine print on the items before opening them).

When /given/ away the situation might be different?

Anonymous Coward, Oct 31st, 2012 @ 4:18pm

I've always told my family you are far more likely to get better stuff from your own family than you are from anyone else. Unless as one poster on the youtube video said they are those people who give out apples and toothbrushes.

Dad, Oct 31st, 2012 @ 4:49pm

They better not repeal the Parent Tax !!!

Travicane, Oct 31st, 2012 @ 7:35pm

Thank you Tim. (Liked the category and tags)

Posted the video on Facebook for my friends here on the East coast - not a great Halloween for some of them. They needed a bit of a chuckle. The lucky ones get a do over for Trick or treating on Sunday, when hopefully the power is back on.

Anonymous Coward, Oct 31st, 2012 @ 8:41pm

Re: Re: Careful

/given/ ???

You are ootb!

JWW (profile), Oct 31st, 2012 @ 9:47pm

Yep, and I also love "checking" the candy to make sure its ok.

Anonymous Coward, Oct 31st, 2012 @ 10:59pm

Lol. I used the uncle tax on my nephew and got a sour patch kids.

Anonymous Coward, Nov 1st, 2012 @ 1:47am

Re: Re: Re: Careful

No, if it were out_of_a_clue he'd be screaming how creative children in costumes shouldn't have to beg for the rightful spoils of their nocturnal endeavors.

hobo, Nov 1st, 2012 @ 11:22am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Careful

Children have only licensed the likenesses represented in their costumes and may not profit from them (candy). All must be jailed and fined $75,000 per piece of candy.

Fines for pirate costumes are double.

Rekrul, Nov 3rd, 2012 @ 2:38am

Hey, I happen to like NECO Wafers...

Not Holeseller, Nov 5th, 2012 @ 7:56am

Re: Careful

..Or getting popped by Vice.

Namesh (profile), Nov 19th, 2012 @ 7:40am

candies

Candies is a fast food café serving a large array of vegetarian and non-vegetarian Continental food and North Indian food like roast chicken, Vegetable Biryani, Tandoori Chicken and so on. It is also famous for its European desserts like cheesecakes and fresh cream pastries.

nancy, May 28th, 2013 @ 10:29am

Amazing collection of candy and chocolate

Amazing collection of candy and chocolate
    Candy has an amazing collection of candy and chocolate where each piece explodes in your mouth with a rich, glorious avalanche of taste.

Loretta, Oct 25th, 2013 @ 6:21am

Expectations

Trick and Treating always reminds me of my friend who opened her door one Halloween to a couple of youths in hoodies who when they asked 'Trick or Treat' she replied 'I have some lovely lollipops' and heard one of them say when she went to fetch them 'she's actually going to get them!!' I thought that was brilliant as they were obviously expecting money! I used to enjoy taking my kids out but now we go OTT with costumes and have a Halloween Bash and eat all of the treats ourselves lol!!