Fifteen Years Ago Today, Techdirt Was Born

from the feeling-old dept

We don't tend to be too sentimental about these things, but a few weeks back, I realized that we were rapidly approaching the 15th anniversary of the start of Techdirt in its earliest form. On August 23rd, 1997, I sent out the very first "Up To Date" email newsletter, which was roughly modeled on Danny O'Brien's much more clever and much more knowledgeable (and sadly missed) Need to Know newsletter (for what it's worth, Danny discovered my mimicry a few months later, and has always been quite kind about it). The very first newsletter was sent to -- I believe -- three people, and was really an alpha test of the concept. It's obviously quite different from what Techdirt became, but you can also see some inklings. Some of the things in the newsletter were silly (underestimating HTTP as a protocol? Oops!). Some were pretty good predictions (CNET's SNAP portal being a joke, Netscape trying to charge for its browser being a recipe for failure).

Either way, today marks 15 years of doing this in one form or another. One week after this initial test, the newsletter went out to about 100 people -- mostly fellow students at Cornell's business school. A month later we were up to about 1,000 subscribers, and it built from there. By February of the next year the website finally came into existence (and with it, the Techdirt name, which beat out my second choice "bluedot" because a friend told me that sounded boring, while Techdirt sounded edgy). A year after that, the site itself morphed into a blog -- though the word "blog" still didn't exist -- using Slashcode 0.3 (which was a complete mess). And within a few years it was a part of my full time job.

Anyway, I wanted to share the moment, as I figured some of you might get a kick out of seeing that original offering. We're hoping to put together some sort of gathering in the fall to celebrate this anniversary (too much stuff going on to have it coincide with the actual date) and we'll share more info on that as we finalize those plans. Either way, none of the last 15 years happens without you folks being dedicated readers, commenters, submitters, link spreaders, etc. From starting out with a total audience of 3 people to the millions who now read our content every month, it's been quite a ride so far, and I hope to continue going strong for at least another fifteen years.

Vog (profile), Aug 23rd, 2012 @ 10:29am

Rev. Pirate Mike: Preaching freetard "ethics" for fifteen years strong! Someone get him his complimentary parrot and a bottle of Kool-Aid!

YAAAAARRRRRRRRR!

(Congrats, Techdirt!)

Dark Helmet (profile), Aug 23rd, 2012 @ 10:38am

Hmm, let's see

Coincidentally, I'm fairly certain that fifteen years ago this day, I was fifteen years old and saw my very first real life, in-person booby. In other words, it's nice and rather synergistic that this is a meaningful day for the both of us.

Kidding aside, congrats Techdirt and Techdirt-ers. I couldn't be prouder to be a small part of it....

Atkray (profile), Aug 23rd, 2012 @ 10:58am

Someone with some art skills design a shirt/hoodie for Mike's family that says "My dad/husband ran a blog for 15 years and all I got was this lousy shirt" bonus points if you include the "Eagle" on it.

Gratzies.

Mesonoxian Eve (profile), Aug 23rd, 2012 @ 11:40am

Do we get cake?

SD (profile), Aug 23rd, 2012 @ 11:51am

The cake is a lie.

sehlat (profile), Aug 23rd, 2012 @ 11:54am

*singing*

Happy Birthday,
    Happy Birthday,
    Mongol wisdom you must learn,
    First you pillage, then you burn,
    Happy Birthday.

Dark Helmet (profile), Aug 23rd, 2012 @ 11:55am

But the pie is nigh....

Anonymous Coward, Aug 23rd, 2012 @ 12:00pm

Well done and thanks, Mr. Masnick. Here's to many more years.

The Groove Tiger (profile), Aug 23rd, 2012 @ 12:01pm

The cake is FUD!
    It's also food.

Chris ODonnell (profile), Aug 23rd, 2012 @ 12:02pm

Congrats! I think I found Techdirt right around 2000 or maybe 2001.

Zakida Paul (profile), Aug 23rd, 2012 @ 12:09pm

15 years old.

No wonder there is a lot of acne (idiot trolls).

Mesonoxian Eve (profile), Aug 23rd, 2012 @ 12:14pm

11 minutes. Shameful. I expected two minutes or less. ;)

weneedhelp (profile), Aug 23rd, 2012 @ 12:17pm

Good job, and thanks.

So funny. About a month or so ago I decided to take a look at the first TD article. It was fun to go along and see the evolution of TD.

What really appealed to me about TD was the totally open comments section. No email/password nothing. I could come here and join in the conversations with no roadblocks. No held for moderation. Just a free and open community that was passionate about fair copyright and government law. A non conspiracy look at the absurd laws being written that remove freedoms and culture.

I was hooked. And to this day I still read every article.
    Thanks guys.

Blatant Coward (profile), Aug 23rd, 2012 @ 12:25pm

Wout!

dolphin (profile), Aug 23rd, 2012 @ 12:32pm

"roughly modeled"

Proof that you have been a nasty dirty pirate, right from day 1!

Trails (profile), Aug 23rd, 2012 @ 12:38pm

Wow

"August 23rd, 1997"

I'm fairly certain I was a really stoned teenager on that date. You old, Mike.

Mike Martinet (profile), Aug 23rd, 2012 @ 12:43pm

Huzzah!

Congratulations Mike!

I've been reading Techdirt religiously since 2005.

Thanks!

DannyB (profile), Aug 23rd, 2012 @ 12:49pm

You wouldn't download a cake would you?

DannyB (profile), Aug 23rd, 2012 @ 12:51pm

Congratulations.

I don't remember when I first started reading, but it was a good while before I created an account.

John Fenderson (profile), Aug 23rd, 2012 @ 12:52pm

Happy Birthday!

And many, many more.

Anonymous Coward With A Unique Writing Style, Aug 23rd, 2012 @ 12:54pm

Well, I haven't been around as some of the people here (only about 2 years now). But congratulations, Mike!

August 23, 1997. I was all of 12 years and 6 days old on that date. Sheesh. I was a young'un.

Anonymous Coward, Aug 23rd, 2012 @ 12:57pm

I haven't been following this blog for very long (Only got started when SOPA/PIPA first started getting more word), but it's been great. Congratulations, guys, and here's to at least a few more years of going strong!

harbingerofdoom (profile), Aug 23rd, 2012 @ 12:59pm

yes. and the ice cream to go with it too.

Jay (profile), Aug 23rd, 2012 @ 1:00pm

Interesting

Maybe I'm more interested in the business side for my own good, but I would love to hear about how you created this into a full time job. I do have to congratulate a person that has a very successful community that was built up over time.

Here's to another 15 years from you Mike with great reporting. :)

The eejit (profile), Aug 23rd, 2012 @ 1:20pm

Well, maybe if the ice-cream's low-fat. I'm on a diet.

Gwiz (profile), Aug 23rd, 2012 @ 1:24pm

Congrats Mike.

Here's to fifteen more!

Gwiz (profile), Aug 23rd, 2012 @ 1:28pm

Re: Hmm, let's see

Dang. I'm old.

My oldest boy would have about 13 then (and also fixated on boobies).

derfaust, Aug 23rd, 2012 @ 2:06pm

fucking cool......

Thanks for ALL the fish!....

all 15 years of it..... someone open a window.....its starting to smell in here!

Unanimous Cow Herd (profile), Aug 23rd, 2012 @ 2:23pm

Happy Birthday, TD!

Happy Birthday, TD!

John Fenderson (profile), Aug 23rd, 2012 @ 2:25pm

Re: Re: Hmm, let's see

Thanks for making me feel young! My eldest was 6 then.

Dan (profile), Aug 23rd, 2012 @ 2:56pm

Poor trolls

After 15 years, if we account holders can't get Mike to shut up, what chance do the trolls have? Poor trolls...

There is that millions of dollars thing.....Biden could charge it...

Happy Birthday TD!!!

Moonpye (profile), Aug 23rd, 2012 @ 3:10pm

HAPPY!!

BIRTHDAY!!!!

Derek Kerton (profile), Aug 23rd, 2012 @ 3:13pm

I got that second week's newsletter

...and I forgot to tell you, Mike, there was a typo in the second story:

its instead of it's.

Please correct.

Vidiot (profile), Aug 23rd, 2012 @ 4:08pm

Re: Re: Re: Hmm, let's see

I think that's when I first needed reading glasses. We need geezer badges on our avatars.

MahaliaShere (profile), Aug 23rd, 2012 @ 4:14pm

15? Wow. Congrats. I would sing Happy Birthday, but you know... infringement and all that.

Vidiot (profile), Aug 23rd, 2012 @ 4:14pm

Hear, hear

Your work is much appreciated... validates and bolsters positions I couldn't explain or justify six or seven years ago. And what form will it all take in another 15?

Mike Masnick (profile), Aug 23rd, 2012 @ 4:14pm

Re: I got that second week's newsletter

That's right... Derek's one of the original bunch and has stuck around the whole time... And, good catch. :) I actually saw that typo and debated fixing it before posting this, but I worried about what making a change to an article that old might do to the system.

Hans, Aug 23rd, 2012 @ 4:53pm

Thank you for your for labors to keep us informed
    and to maintain our liberties....

Anonymous Coward, Aug 23rd, 2012 @ 4:58pm

Happy Birthday!

I'm having some cake in your honor! (Any excuse to have my cake and eat it too.)

Anonymous Coward, Aug 23rd, 2012 @ 5:01pm

"15 years ago MAFIAA's nightmare was born" new Hollywood movie soon

Anonymous Coward, Aug 23rd, 2012 @ 5:11pm

monumental waste of 15 years

in those LONG years, what have you achieved ?? looks like basically NOTHING.. .

I wonder what the next 15 years will bring you in the way of achievments..

how very very sad,

15 years of winging, and still no one cares.. I wonder why after 15 years of calling for reforms and changes, none have gone your way.. seems the opposite allways happens from what you say is going to happen..

Long live HTTP, possibly you should have given up then, and actually goten a real job.

Spaceman Spiff (profile), Aug 23rd, 2012 @ 5:40pm

The more things change

The more they stay the same... :-) Thanks for (re)posting the original Mike! And congratulations on 15 years real time - that's about 10,000 years in internet time!

The Groove Tiger (profile), Aug 23rd, 2012 @ 6:29pm

Oh yeah and happy fifteenversary.

Anonymous Coward, Aug 23rd, 2012 @ 7:18pm

Nothing beats coming home from work and catching up on news that is actually interesting. Thanks for making it happen.

ChurchHatesTucker (profile), Aug 23rd, 2012 @ 9:48pm

Damn

I've been called an old timer, and I've only been posting since '07 or so.

Happy Birthday! Soon Techdirt will be able to vote, like all native persons.

btrussell (profile), Aug 24th, 2012 @ 3:12am

Happy Birthday!

My Uncle has the patent on Aug. 23 birthdays.

Has proof of prior art as well.

Expect his lawyers.

Ninja (profile), Aug 24th, 2012 @ 3:37am

Motherfucking Eagles yeah!

I'd make a t-shirt with the sayings:

Techdirt: 15 years of tech, dirt and a whole lot of trolling!

Ninja (profile), Aug 24th, 2012 @ 3:40am

Nice, happy birthday TD! Keep up with the marvelous work!

btrussell (profile), Aug 24th, 2012 @ 3:40am

Happy Birthday!

My Uncle has the patent on Aug. 23 birthdays.

Has proof of prior art as well.

Expect his lawyers.

Dark Helmet (profile), Aug 24th, 2012 @ 5:27am

Re: monumental waste of 15 years

"15 years of winging"

15 years of WINGING?!??! But we only JUST released motha fucking eagles on all yer asses, yo!

Laroquod (profile), Aug 24th, 2012 @ 5:31am

Happy belated, Techdirt! If you did not already exist so perfectly, it would be necessary for somebody to invent you.

Anonymous Coward, Aug 24th, 2012 @ 5:56am

Yea!! Happy Birthday and many more!

Anonymous Coward, Aug 24th, 2012 @ 6:07am

Congratulations Techdirt.

EF, Aug 24th, 2012 @ 6:31am

Happy Anniversary!

Mike and team, Techdirt has been a part of my daily read for only 4 years but I look forward to it everyday. I share links to Techdirt with friends and on public forums. Thank you all for your insight, excellent writing, common sense and for the entertainment; it's great content!!

Gwiz (profile), Aug 24th, 2012 @ 8:51am

Re: monumental waste of 15 years

in those LONG years, what have you achieved ?? looks like basically NOTHING.. .

Those black and white goggles you view the world through must really get annoying when you want to watch a stunning sunset or experience a beautiful garden.

I wonder what the next 15 years will bring you in the way of achievments..

Me too.

how very very sad,

Wait. You are sad about Mike's achievements? You must live a lonely life.

15 years of winging, and still no one cares...

Well, except for the thousands who read Techdirt that is.

...I wonder why after 15 years of calling for reforms and changes, none have gone your way.. seems the opposite allways happens from what you say is going to happen..

Really? One word for you...SOPA.

Wait. Mike's doesn't have a real job. Someone should tell his employees and family that. They must all be living off of some sort of fake money or something.