Conan O'Brien Has The Inside Scoop On More Netflix Changes

from the is-it-too-subtle dept

If you have been living under a rock for the last couple of weeks, you are probably not aware that Netflix dramatically increased its prices, separated its streaming and DVD by mail services and then branched the two services into two different companies. You have also probably missed Netflix CEO Reed Hastings' apology and explanation of the debacle. In case you fit this bill, here is the video:

You probably thought that was the end of it.

Well, Susannah from Team CoCo wrote in to tell us that Netflix has even more up its red sleeve to make our movie viewing experience even better.

Honestly, I think having Paul Hogan come over to hang out is quite the deal for only $1.49 a month.

Anonymous Coward, Sep 23rd, 2011 @ 8:49pm

It wasn't funny on TV, and it is even less funny here.

Sort of sums up the Techdirt mentality on a lot of things though.

Anonymous Coward, Sep 23rd, 2011 @ 9:13pm

To each his own.

Anonymous Coward, Sep 23rd, 2011 @ 9:21pm

weak. Not as weak as Netflix's BS apology but still pretty weak.

Anonymous Coward, Sep 23rd, 2011 @ 9:26pm

That was funny :)

Jim O (profile), Sep 23rd, 2011 @ 9:43pm

I think the fact that a late night television show took time to make fun of the Netflix "apology" adds weight to the discussion that took place here (and other places) earlier in the week.

This isn't just a nerd rant that will echo in computer-equipped basements; mainstream media has picked it up and is mocking the moves of Netflix. When it gets that bad it's noteworthy (even if it failed to amuse you).

Anonymous Coward, Sep 23rd, 2011 @ 9:56pm

Sounds like Reed Hastings just came up with qwikster to cover his ass a bit, It would have been better to come out and say that old hollywood was putting on the squeeze for more money and that's why the prices were going up.

Honesty goes a long way, me I still go for red box.

Anonymous Coward, Sep 23rd, 2011 @ 9:58pm

I Live Under a Rock

STOP MAKING FUN OF PEOPLE WHO LIVE UNDER ROCKS!!!

Liz (profile), Sep 23rd, 2011 @ 10:26pm

They'll have to pay me more than $1.49/mo for Paul Hogan to come hang out.

Jay (profile), Sep 23rd, 2011 @ 10:31pm

If he said that, they would charge more or leave Netflix altogether.

Meanwhile piracy would increase by a rate of 10% per minute...

Jeffrey Nonken (profile), Sep 23rd, 2011 @ 10:54pm

Re: I Live Under a Rock

I patented living under a rock I'M GONNA SUE.

Anonymous Coward, Sep 23rd, 2011 @ 11:15pm

Re: Re: I Live Under a Rock

ME FIRST i copyrighted patenting living under a rock DIE EVIL INFRINGER!!!

Richard (profile), Sep 24th, 2011 @ 3:36am

Re: Re: Re: I Live Under a Rock

Sorry - I trademarked copyrighting patenting living under a rock - so I have to sue you because otherwise I will lose my trademark!

PaulT (profile), Sep 24th, 2011 @ 4:56am

OMG! Mike finds things funny you don't! It's so offensive you just *have* post a moronic comment!

If you spent a little time *not* attacking Mike for every insignificant thing, we might even start taking your larger points serious. Now, you're just looking like you're bored because kindergarten finished for the day.

Casey Mahoney (profile), Sep 24th, 2011 @ 6:03am

Netflix

When my billed doubled I left them.will I ever go back to them-No.They got greedy and they deserve what is coming to them.

Thanks Casey Mahoney

abc gum, Sep 24th, 2011 @ 7:24am

Stop the presses, hold the mail.
    AC is having another epic fail.

Old Fool (profile), Sep 24th, 2011 @ 8:16am

A Rock?

"If you have been living under a rock for the last couple of weeks"

As you can only get Netflix in America, I assume you mean anyone not from the USA lives under a rock???

PaulT (profile), Sep 24th, 2011 @ 8:46am

Re: A Rock?

To be fair, I'm not American and only set foot in their country once every 2 years or so, and I'm fully aware of the situation. Besides, Netflix are now available in most of the American continent (or soon will be, I believe) and they're rumoured to be setting up here in Spain next year. Can't wait.

Anonymous Coward, Sep 24th, 2011 @ 8:51am

Your post would be more relevant if Mike was the one posting it.

(sorry, just using your typical bullshit answer back at ya).

PaulT (profile), Sep 24th, 2011 @ 9:21am

Why do you even bother? No point, no intelligence, just a personal attack pretending you have some sort of reason to be typing. Neither of your comments here even suggest that a 10 year old child isn't writing, in content or in focus.

Go do something more productive, it might make you happy enough with your life not to be attacking people pointlessly. Me? I've just been sitting in my local sorting out the final details of my trip to New York in November, and enjoying a few celebratory drinks, although it's a little empty here because most are still on the beach. It's a good day, the sun is shining and I'm happy with my lot in life.

That's probably why I haven't formed a pathetic obsession with attacking someone on the internet anonymously...

Anonymous Coward, Sep 24th, 2011 @ 9:21am

While I see nothing wrong with what Netflix did (though its business impact seems to be headed in the wrong direction with its current customer base), I have to admit that the second video is a very entertaining parody of the first video.

Anonymous Coward, Sep 24th, 2011 @ 10:40am

um wtf

so where is conan o'brien? article fail.

Angry Puppy (profile), Sep 24th, 2011 @ 1:50pm

Said the Jay Leno fanboi

surfer, Sep 24th, 2011 @ 4:43pm

ahem

this completely justifies why I just pirate movies and refuse to become sheeple like this nitwit expects me to conform to his pricing, instead of producing what the customer wants. If your not going to conform to the customer, then the customer is going elsewhere, in this case freetard land.

surfer (profile), Sep 24th, 2011 @ 5:03pm

business model, hello?

price it within a range I am willing to pay, and I will pay, its called market acceptance, otherwise, I will go get it for free, and you get nothing. do you copyrwrongs get it yet? the market sets the price, not your misguided mathematics. if songs were .10, and movies 1$, I would pay, otherwise, it's free for me. I pay more for usenet, vpn, and bandwidth because of your inflated mathematics, and i get what I want, when I want, and watch it when it suits me, without commercials. Roll back your stupid monopoly to 14 years, and work for a living, then you might get my money, pff, never ever, you have poisoned the waters, I screw copyright every chance I get, as often as I can, go cry and get you another legislation, and I will infringe on it as well. I can't buy hdds fast enough to store the crap you make.. I haven't seen a commercial in 9 years. more of me exist daily, so good luck with useless laws. I have a server built on technology that is now 9 years old, and will still circumvent any law you can create, 20Tb and growing..

so, go, cry a river, line pockets, sue everyone, it won't stop me, or the millions of others who discovered a better distribution system than yours. enjoy.

/off to watch Transformers 3 in 1080p, Star Wars, Cowboys and Aliens, Friends with Benefits, and the lame ass Mayweather fight that the monkey cheated to win, o0o, now that's content..glad I didn't pay for that shit.

Anonymous Coward, Sep 24th, 2011 @ 9:12pm

Re: business model, hello?

Now I will have to spend $300 on 3 3TB just so I can beat you by 1TB :)

Anonymous Coward, Sep 25th, 2011 @ 12:16am

Jesus, if you weren't retarded this would be funny. Instead you're a pathetic and sad human being. I pity you, I really do

Paul`, Sep 25th, 2011 @ 1:31am

Well, that's like, your opinion, man.

Anonymous Coward, Sep 25th, 2011 @ 7:19am

What is Netflix? I always download from internet.

Overcast (profile), Sep 25th, 2011 @ 12:06pm

Yep, and for the waiting on DVD's the price was questionable to being with.

Sure, my cable costs more, but there is no wait when I want to watch a movie. So jack up the price all you want NetFlix, you aren't all that, lol.

surfer (profile), Sep 26th, 2011 @ 1:39pm

Re: Re: business model, hello?

>:-)

nasch (profile), Oct 1st, 2011 @ 10:21am

Re: Re: Re: Re:

Sitting in your local what? Is that some expression you furriners use? ;-)

nasch (profile), Oct 1st, 2011 @ 10:23am

Re: um wtf

Um, wtf, did you watch the second video? It doesn't show in the RSS feed, you have to come to the web site.