TSA May Announce New Behavior Screening Plans Soon

from the wait-and-see dept

Apparently the TSA is planning to roll out some changes to its screening process in the coming months, including embracing at least some of the "Israeli method" of airplane security, which tends to focus much more on behavior, rather than what you have on you.
"I'm very much interested in expanding the behavior detection program, upgrading it if you will, in a way that allows us to….have more interaction with a passsenger just from a discussion which may be able to expedite the physical screening aspects," [TSA boss John] Pistole said during an appearance at the Aspen Security Forum in Colorado. "So, we've looked at what works around the world, some outstanding examples and we are planning to do some new things in the near future here."

Pistole declined to elaborate on the enhanced behavior detection program but said it would "probably" be announced in August. During an on-stage interview with CNN's Jeanne Meserve, Pistole acknowledged that the Israeli techniques have been carefully examined.

"There's a lot--under that Israeli model--a lot that is done that is obviously very effective," he said.
Of course, the devil is always in the details, but it would be nice if the security practices were more focused on stuff that actually works, rather than pure security theater. Pistole also appears to have reiterated earlier comments about how the TSA may change its procedures so that little kids don't need to be groped so much, saying that it would have parents "more involved in the process of helping TSA personnel figure out why a child is setting off alarms."

Tough luck for the elderly, however, since apparently many of the people on the terrorist watch list are old, so you still need to get groped. Seems like a logical fallacy of course. Just because many terrorists are old, that doesn't mean many old people are terrorists. A bit strange that the TSA doesn't seem to recognize this.

Hugh Mann (profile), Jul 29th, 2011 @ 6:59pm

I'm screwed

I'm not likely to have a lot of patience for interrogation, and would likely stick to "name, rank and serial number" sort of answers.

I'm not looking to date anybody on the plane, so am not interestd in having to sit through some sort of personality profile.

Do I have a ticket? Does my stated destination match my ticket? Does my ID match my stated identity, and the identity on the ticket? Not sure what else I should be requrired to answer or demonstrate.

HM

Liz, Jul 29th, 2011 @ 7:06pm

someone (profile), Jul 29th, 2011 @ 7:20pm

Re: I'm screwed

You will be ok with your attitude.

The terrorist would be unlikely to act that way as s/he would not want to draw attention.

Kevin (PaxSkeptica) (profile), Jul 29th, 2011 @ 7:24pm

Overheard in an Airport

TSA Agent 1: "Hmm... whaddya make of that guy?"
    TSA Agent 2: "Yeah, he's actin' pretty Muslim. Let's frisk him."

Anonymous Coward, Jul 29th, 2011 @ 7:25pm

"Seems like a logical fallacy of course. Just because many terrorists are old, that doesn't mean many old people are terrorists. A bit strange that the TSA doesn't seem to recognize this."

I think we established long ago that the TSA is not strong on logic!

Anonymous Coward, Jul 29th, 2011 @ 7:28pm

@Liz: "At least with this plan they'll talk to people before they start groping them. In a year or so maybe they'll add in dinner and a movie!"

You'll get both of those on the plane, after you've been felt up. Normally those come first, I think, but that might be a security risk!

Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 29th, 2011 @ 8:15pm

Yes, it can. See Bayes’ Theorem.

gyffes, Jul 29th, 2011 @ 8:20pm

I like

that it's taken them this bloody long to say, "hmmm.. what we're doing doesn't work.. let's see what others are doing that MIGHT work..."

Atkray (profile), Jul 29th, 2011 @ 11:08pm

Re: I like

"I've ZERO faith they'll do anything with this except make the current security theatre 100x worse."

I predict they will try to engage people in friendly banter so that people will be less apprehensive about being groped and irradiated.

And you are correct it will be 100x worse because the turnips at TSA will engage people in socially unacceptable and offensive conversation.

Example: Before smashing and disconnecting a colostomy bag expect something like this:

TSA Goon: Good afternoon sir, I notice you seem to be in less that perfect health is that because you have skin cancer from spending too much time in the desert?

Hephaestus (profile), Jul 29th, 2011 @ 11:40pm

"TSA may change its procedures so that little kids don't need to be groped so much, saying that it would have parents "more involved in the process of helping TSA personnel figure out why a child is setting off alarms." "

That's not plastic explosives, that's crap in the baby's diaper. Thank you very much for touching it with your gloves ... Next contestant please.

I hope you don't mind me grabbing your breasts after checking the baby's diaper.

I find this whole TSA thing disgusting and unsanitary.

Hephaestus (profile), Jul 29th, 2011 @ 11:42pm

And no holy crap that's disgusting jokes ... same gloves for an 8 hour shift ... lol ... glad I fly first class or steerage on a lear.

Richard (profile), Jul 30th, 2011 @ 4:08am

Re: Re: Just because many terrorists are old, that doesn't mean many old people are terrorists.

Bayes theorem is still somewhat controversial - and, given that terrorists are very rare and old people are very common, not very useful.

Also - I would dispute the premise that "many terrorists are old". I'm not aware of even one "active" terrorist who was over the age of 70. I'd be interested to see if anyone could quote an example.

jproffer (profile), Jul 30th, 2011 @ 7:22am

in addition to

this is going to be an IN ADDITION TO, not an AS OPPOSED TO. So they'll still frisk all of you, sift through your bags, and steal your money/jewelry. This is just an added bonus for them - they get to pick: Pat-down, X-Ray, or Profile screening (for additional goodies).

sillySlim (profile), Jul 30th, 2011 @ 7:42am

wrongThreadsAreUs

Hey man, slashdot is stripping any submission references to anonymous and the latest intrusion and subsequent data dump on tpb. I'm witnessing the metaHide of up to, oh, about eight "recent submissions" now for 30July11 referencing what I thought was just the mantech hack but lo and behold, two other unrelated, albeit anonymous centric, articles were pulled from discovery.

Am I just entering the wtf phase of realization? Too much coffee? It just seems like "things" are escalating rather quickly or I've got my head on crooked this am.

I'd offer that you go and find yourself any open discussion on this recent breach if it happens to pique your interest in the least and/or perhaps try to start one if you're feeling feisty. But I have to pull out for a bit - maybe make more coffee - something is just not quite right.

I don't necessarily have a "sharing platform" account to poink off otherwise I'd not pollute but... have but no have

Good day.

wrongThreadsAreUsII (profile), Jul 30th, 2011 @ 7:47am

Re: wrongThreadsAreUs

This was a /. submit by me during the wee hours last night after I discover the story on El Reg - page exists but I couldn't "discover" it, which I thought odd. Perhaps a flurry of interest could force discussion - don't know but got to go. http://slashdot.org/submission/1741554/Nasty-Racket-Begets-Nasty-Business---ANON

Vidiot (profile), Jul 30th, 2011 @ 10:17am

Re: I'm screwed

I'm reminded of that scene in Annie Hall: Woody Allen, pulled over in L.A. for driving horrendously, nervously chatters away at the CHIPs officer while shredding his own driver's license into tiny bits, saying, "I have this problem with authority...".

Noname, Jul 30th, 2011 @ 11:18am

aikiwolfie (profile), Jul 30th, 2011 @ 3:36pm

All Old People Are Terrorists!

Every child knows old people can't be trusted. I think the TSA have only fallen short on their measures regarding old people in that they don't shoot to kill on sight.

Note to TSA: I am so totally not being serious.

gene (profile), Jul 30th, 2011 @ 4:29pm

TSA

The TSA needs to be disbanded along with the DEA, DOE, ATF
    and a BUNCH of other Federal Labor Unions..

Anonymous Coward, Jul 30th, 2011 @ 7:26pm

Fascist TSA = United States = Israel = Zionism

chris, Jul 31st, 2011 @ 7:16am

Does anyone believe the average TSA line employee is remotely qualified to do behavioral profiling? It takes a much higher level of skill and training than what they are doing now. To really copy the Israeli system they would need to recruit highly paid and experienced detectives rather than the ex-McDonald's workers they have now. We can't afford it.

abc gum, Jul 31st, 2011 @ 7:39am

"same gloves for an 8 hour shift ... lol"

Obviously, those gloves are not for your protection.
    What about those with a Latex allergy?

Anonymous Coward, Jul 31st, 2011 @ 10:52am

Re: Re: I like

"I predict they will try to engage people in friendly banter so that people will be less apprehensive about being groped and irradiated"

That's called foreplay right?

Pickle Monger (profile), Aug 1st, 2011 @ 7:29am

If the behavioural profiling will be done by the same fritattas groping us now, we're all in deep shit...