Christopher S. Little's Favorite Techdirt Posts Of The Week

from the favorite-my-favorites dept

This week's Favorites post comes from Christopher S. Little, who usually goes by another name in the comments, but didn't want us to face any sort of trademark threats...

I've been given the honor of writing up my favorite posts of the week, and what a week it's been. I was asked on Tuesday and even then I knew I'd have a problem picking just a few. It took a lot of thinking, but I did find myself coming back to a few again and again.

First up is Monday's post about the Supreme Court finally weighing in on the laws requiring stores to not sell violent games to minors. Now, I understand why some people want these laws, but it's not the government's place to say.  It's the job of the parent to say yes or no to the child not the government's. I'm also very happy to see that the judges realized that gaming is not any more different from movies than movies were from books. I do remember Lord of the Flies being more disturbing than Grand Theft Auto. Too bad California is going to try again.

Second on my list is Capcom deciding that they don't want you to play again from the beginning. One of my hobbies is video games (collecting, learning the history) so this one hits close to home. I don't know much about this game, but I expect it's setup like Portal.  You have missions and once you beat the first one you unlock the second and so forth.  Well, that's not too bad for you, but what about the next guy?  What about the guy ten or twenty years from now trying to catch up on the history of this great game he just got into called Resident Evil 22 (or whatever)?  The odds of finding an unused copy that far in the future are slim.  On top of that, add the feeling that you can't really show you did those things.  You can't show your friend that you deleted your game and come back a few days later with it 100% completed.  With that hanging over your head even actually doing it yourself feels cheapened.

Third is the Google+ beta. I'll usually give anything Google at least one try, but their past social networks were underwhelming.  So I was a little suprised to not only see Mike posting about it but liking it as well.  That was enough to make me take a second look.  Then he pointed out the Circles function and how you can easily delete your account.  Apparently both those functions exist in Facebook, but are so hard to get to that I didn't even know they existed.  I admit, I may have been played by Google.  Once I saw that they got so overloaded with requests they had to stop accepting them, it piqued my interests.  As Marcus Carab pointed out, who ever heard of Google running out of resources?

I have to give an honorable mention to the string of Righthaven posts that show the disaster that is their legal strategy. It's good to not only see the suits be smacked down, but also to see that claims are being filed against them. There need to be easier ways to enforce the consequences for abuses like this.

Anonymous Coward, Jul 2nd, 2011 @ 1:17pm

"it peaked my interests"
    should be

it piqued my interest.

Anonymous Coward, Jul 2nd, 2011 @ 1:25pm

Coles notes: "I like what Mike wrote this week".

DannyB (profile), Jul 2nd, 2011 @ 2:25pm

You had a lot fewer favorites than I did a couple weeks ago. :-)

fluor2 (profile), Jul 2nd, 2011 @ 2:41pm

It's not up to me to find this interesting

it's up to my parents to decide

The eejit (profile), Jul 2nd, 2011 @ 3:28pm

aren'#t quite a few of those NOT written by Mike?

ChurchHatesTucker (profile), Jul 2nd, 2011 @ 3:29pm

Short and sweet is a nice change of pace ;-)

darryl, Jul 2nd, 2011 @ 4:33pm

Im quite suppressedas well !!!!

So I was a little suppressed to not only see Mike posting about it but liking it as well.

Do worry, that happens to everyone who posts here on techdirt.

It's a very suppressing place !!!

darryl, Jul 2nd, 2011 @ 4:35pm

its because he is so suppressed.....

freak (profile), Jul 2nd, 2011 @ 5:24pm

"As Marcus Carab pointed out, who ever heard of Google running out of resources?"

For pet projects?

Should I name gmail when it first came out?

Likely it's not so much resources from the company, so much as resources for the project. Failing that, it could also be that they have far exceeded the group size they wanted for testing purposes, and it would be expensive to run some of the analysis programs with too much more info being created. Still figuring out what's noise and what's signal, right?

Slicerwizard, Jul 2nd, 2011 @ 5:35pm

"it peaked my interests" should be it piqued my interest.

Hey, leave him alone. He's already feeling "a little suppressed" as it is.

Mike Masnick (profile), Jul 2nd, 2011 @ 5:59pm

typos

Fixed the typos. Though, I have to say, for Darryl to complain about spelling errors strikes me as especially rich, given his... er... creative spelling choices in most of his comments.

Nicedoggy, Jul 2nd, 2011 @ 6:24pm

Re: Im quite suppressedas well !!!!

Gute Nacht unterdrückte eins

Rose M. Welch, Jul 2nd, 2011 @ 11:24pm

It was nice to see a Favorites that wasn't so loaded with links and had bits about why they were favorites. :)

Rose M. Welch, Jul 2nd, 2011 @ 11:27pm

Re: Im quite suppressedas well !!!!

It's extremely amusing to see you mangle punctuation and spelling while critisizing someone else's small mistakes.

darryl, Jul 3rd, 2011 @ 2:43am

Re: typos

Complain ??? ME !!!!!!

so who said I was 'correcting' him ? I thought it was the correct word to use!

You might be right Mike, but I do not claim to 'make a living' from writing. You and your ilk do.

I am just making comment, I am simply the comsumer of your 'product', and as a comsumer, I have a certain expectation from you.

If you fail to meet that expectation, I have every right to express that.

You on the other hand NEED ME :), and my ilk, you have a financial interest in meeting my expectation and to meet the expectation of all your readers.

I PAY YOU, by taking the time to come here and ready your 'product', if you are producing a 'shoddy' product, then I is up to me as the consumer to inform you that you're products does not 'conform', and therefore you have failed the first basic tennant of business.

"Do the right things, RIGHT first time, every time"

I am sure Mike, that you would be upset if you purchased a brand new car, and you crash it on the first drive, and when you go back to the car manufacturer and tell them what happened the say.

"it is your fault, you are just a shit driver" or "what do you think we are, someone not capable of making a mistake every now and again ?".... we'll yes, if you claim it is your 'job' to provide that service, and expect your clients to PAY for your services..

BTW if it was a 'typo' was the original word went to be 'surpressed' to 'depressed' or a mangle of surprised and depressed ? or distressed, or seducted or deducted?

So you use a spellchecker !!! big deal, dont make out that somehow all you commenters are excellent spellers and well as world experts on every aspect of the law from every country, and every detail about how the 'internet' works, and of course you understand ALL technology.

(and you can use a spellchecker !!!!! )

(tell me when to be impressed, or surpressed, or dispersed or whatever you are trying to say )..

darryl, Jul 3rd, 2011 @ 2:47am

Re: Re: Im quite suppressedas well !!!!

I am glad you are amused Rose,, no really I AM !!! LOL

darryl, Jul 3rd, 2011 @ 3:02am

yes, your right, Google has dropped more projects than they have started..

Basically if it does not spin instand and easy money for google in add revinue, they will drop it like a hot brick.

Google X (remember that one ?)

Google catalog

Google video player

Google web accelerator

Google answers (Google why can't you do anything ?)

Google coupons

google voice search

Google viewer

Google checkout

Orkut

Chrome

Google wave

Android

open source

but to name but a few...

Anonymous Coward, Jul 3rd, 2011 @ 3:20am

Re: Re: Im quite suppressedas well !!!!

darryl is the gift that keeps on giving to this freetard blog.

They can always go "See, he's more off the rails than us! That makes us legit then, right?!?!?"

darryl is almost as crucial as Masnick in the new environment for these people...

Anonymous Coward, Jul 3rd, 2011 @ 5:40am

Re: Re: typos

Darryl don't even bother, hardly anybody comes to this site anyway so no one is going to care if there are typos.

The eejit (profile), Jul 3rd, 2011 @ 6:09am

Re: Re: Re: Im quite suppressedas well !!!!

And you are clearly the most relevant psoter here.

Oh, wait...

Nicedoggy, Jul 3rd, 2011 @ 6:27am

Atama boke deska?

freak (profile), Jul 3rd, 2011 @ 6:38am

Yes, they do drop projects.

What you should be focusing on is that they have a lot of projects that they try. And they learn from mistakes.

I, however, was talking about an entirely different issue.

Nicedoggy, Jul 3rd, 2011 @ 7:05am

I think the U.S. will become irrelevant on the internet.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/28/why-is-european-broadband-faster-and-cheaper-blame-t he-governme/

People are paying in Europe $6 bucks if you only want email and such, but never will happen in the U.S. with the actual laws in place, further it is getting so easy to transfer big files in other places that soon maybe nobody will want to connect to turtle servers in the U.S..

It can't be for free can't it? those freetards are destroying the world :)

If I was in the States then I would have a real broadband connection with speeds of UP TO 24Mb paying $50 dollars from AT&T

http://www.att.com/u-verse/shop/index.jsp?wtSlotClick=1-0061H0-0-1&shopFilterId=5000 01#fbid=5mqHBQ7HegK.

Not 200Mb up and down for $50, no Sir that is just for freetards.

I don't even want to mention Verizon FiOS LoL

Quote:
    Download 150 Mbps/Upload 35 Mbps

Source: http://www22.verizon.com/Residential/Bundles/Landing/fiosinternet_ultimate/fiosinternet_ultimate.htm

For only $195 folks.

Nicedoggy, Jul 3rd, 2011 @ 7:09am

Even China have better plans than the U.S., what happened?

charliebrown (profile), Jul 3rd, 2011 @ 7:26am

Re: Re: Im quite suppressedas well !!!!

Just curious, are you Hariet's daughter? ;)

Chargone (profile), Jul 3rd, 2011 @ 8:02am

functional monopolies (or duopolies) in the USA + regulatory capture. elsewhere there's either actual competition or the government regulation is specifically designed to keep the monopolies under control (or the government runs the thing itself) every one of which leads to price reductions, service quality improvements, or both (ok, to be fair, the government running it itself depends could go either way, but they don't have a major incentive Not to improve things where possible. not by default at least)

that's my guess anyway.

Jay (profile), Jul 3rd, 2011 @ 8:07am

mou wakaru desho?

Jay (profile), Jul 3rd, 2011 @ 8:09am

Re: Re: typos

I was going to start correcting but I am laughing so hard, that I can barely type...

Jay (profile), Jul 3rd, 2011 @ 8:13am

2006 - The FCC ruled that AT&T and Comcast didn't have to share their lines at a fair price. Both companies have been hogging the glory ever since.

However, you should look into LightSquared. They are the upstart that is making a lot of waves with satellite broadband, and it's starting to pay off.

Other note, Ars Technica is talking about 80$ hi speed internet. (I'm lazy right now, so no links...)

Anonymous Coward, Jul 3rd, 2011 @ 8:21am

Re: Re: Re: Im quite suppressedas well !!!!

We don't need Darryl, the RIAA does a perfectly good job embarrassing themselves.

95+ year copy protection lengths is strong evidence that IP maximists are off the rails, these absurd laws wouldn't get passed if those proposing them (some of which comment here) didn't hold such an absurd viewpoint.

Marcus Carab (profile), Jul 3rd, 2011 @ 10:47am

Re: Re: typos

Ever heard of brevity, Darryl? We don't need a whole essay every time you're feeling gassy. Either keep it quick or take your intestinal distress out on someone else.

Marcus Carab (profile), Jul 3rd, 2011 @ 10:48am

Re: Re: Re: Im quite suppressedas well !!!!

See Darryl? Even other trolls want nothing to do with you...

Anonymous Coward, Jul 3rd, 2011 @ 11:48am

Re: Re: Re: Im quite suppressedas well !!!!

There's nothing special about darryl. The IP industry is full of people like him. It breeds them.

Abolish IP.

Anonymous Coward, Jul 3rd, 2011 @ 12:20pm

LightSquared used to be called Skyterra and has been offering expensive, crappy satellite internet service since at least 1995. The changed their name in an attempt to loose their reputation. Recently, they've finally realized that their satellite approach doesn't work so well and have started partnering with cell phone companies to resell cell based connectivity.

Anonymous Coward, Jul 3rd, 2011 @ 1:21pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Im quite suppressedas well !!!!

Exactly my point.

Idiots come a dime a dozen and IP mostly exists as a results of selfish and incompetent bureaucrats and selfish monopolists that are too meritless to compete in a free market and so they want their profits freely handed to them, without doing any work or making any effort, in the form of monopoly rents.

Anonymous Coward, Jul 3rd, 2011 @ 3:49pm

Re: Re: Re: Re:

Nani o wakura? Darryl san a guru guru pa?

Anonymous Coward, Jul 3rd, 2011 @ 3:53pm

The U.S. is almost the only country (though I heard Israel recently started doing this) where continued service subscribers pay more and are treated worse than new subscribers. ISP's and cableco monopolists know that there isn't much competition and so subscribers don't have many alternatives.

So they always offer these cheaper promotional offers to new subscribers, in hopes of attracting new customers that previously didn't have cable, satellite, or broadband Internet, and once you're comfortable with having such service, they jack the prices up.

If you're a new customer, they treat you much better in terms of repairs and setup. They'll come to your house and configure everything for you, if something goes wrong they'll come over and fix it. Not for long term customers. Long term customers are treated like dirt. They don't have much where else to go. New customers often didn't have anything to start out with and so, without the promotional, they could very likely continue without cable or satellite.

It's ridiculous. The U.S. completely and utterly lacks any form of competition or consumer friendly regulation when it comes to anything and so the consumer gets systematically scammed. Continuing customers are treated worse than new customers. This is unheard of in other countries. Other countries respect their long term customers in order to build lasting customer relationships. Not the U.S. because the government only seeks to grant big corporations practically unregulated monopolies and when customers have no where else to go, service providers can treat them like dirt.

Anonymous Coward, Jul 3rd, 2011 @ 3:55pm

(or if they do come to the house of a long term customer to repair something or install an upgrade, U.S. companies will charge a fortune in service fees).

Anonymous Coward, Jul 3rd, 2011 @ 3:58pm

but U.S. companies will do it for free for a new customer. Again, unheard of in other countries. Long term customers get treated better than new customers in other countries, but the U.S. is backwards because our monopolistic laws are backwards.

Chronno S. Trigger (profile), Jul 3rd, 2011 @ 6:03pm

Re: typos

Thanks for fixing the typos. Dyslexia hit me like a ton of bricks back in elementary school, and it affects a lot more then just b and d.

Nicedoggy, Jul 3rd, 2011 @ 6:21pm

On the fair side of things, anything you do either regulation or ownership by the government could go wrong.

The U.K. regulated the industry and it worked, Canada copied just the unbundling thing but not the other stuff to support that and it is a complete fail, Japan owns the infra-structure through NTT and it is a success so is France with a mixed approach, Australia is going to own the basic infra-structure and do like Japan.

The thing about owning the basic infra-structure is that you got the private sector to complain loudly about if it is abused, the real problem seems to be that the infra-structure and the service part must be divorced for it to have the right balance either physically or through laws.

So another alternative could be to outlaw big infra-structure owner companies to deal with the public directly they most go through another independent company that asks them for service. But that would be unproven.

The basic thing is that the infra-structure must be divorced from the service front or it doesn't work that well and it is proven in at leas a dozen countries by now.

Jay (profile), Jul 3rd, 2011 @ 7:45pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:

Soudesu. Darryl-kun itsumo monku ga iru. Sore de, kare no atama honto ni warui da na!

BeeAitch (profile), Jul 3rd, 2011 @ 7:58pm

Re: Re: Re: typos

Same here. I (tried to) read it, and when I finished laughing, highlighted it all to copy, looked at it again, and said "Fuck that, that's too much work."

BeeAitch (profile), Jul 3rd, 2011 @ 8:04pm

"Heck I got a call from my ISP telling me that they want to upgrade my fiber(100Mb) to 200Mb for free WTF?! more impressive my bill will go down $10 bucks F. F. F. this can't be right :)"

You make me sick. :P

I live in the US and I can get maximum 'up to' 20Mbps (yes, small 'b') for ~$60 US. From a choice of two (count 'em _TWO_) providers.

/rant

BeeAitch (profile), Jul 3rd, 2011 @ 8:05pm

Don't know what I did, but this was supposed to be a reply to: Nicedoggy, Jul 3rd, 2011 @ 7:05am

Anonymous Coward, Jul 3rd, 2011 @ 9:17pm

It's sad really. While ISP's in other countries are expanding their broadband and offering cheaper prices, U.S. ISP's are implementing stricter caps. The U.S. is pathetic.

Why do we let them get away with this? Why don't we protest our corrupt government and make them repeal their government established monopolies.

The eejit (profile), Jul 3rd, 2011 @ 11:31pm

Re: Re: Re: Re:

Did they shoot their rep out of a satellite?

The eejit (profile), Jul 3rd, 2011 @ 11:35pm

I suppose you could use the Second Amendment to graft bears to your arms...after all, it's in the Constitution.

Nicedoggy, Jul 4th, 2011 @ 12:59am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:

So desu yo, demo o sore ga a shoganai ne.

Jay (profile), Jul 4th, 2011 @ 9:32am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:

He he he...

sugi wa ketsu kara chi wo deteiru. nani koto wo wakaranai.

Jay (profile), Jul 4th, 2011 @ 9:33am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:

"Sugi [D-Kun] etc..."

EverthingEverywhereIsThisTheBestWeCanDo, Jul 5th, 2011 @ 3:37pm

Interesting article, comments too.
    But as usual I am left wondering if those posting comments ever do more than express and lecture anonymously or via contrived names on threads like the one above.
    Sure it's great to display your depth of knowledge or opinion in safe places. Might even make some feel like they are doing what they can.
    Meanwhile reality marches to a different tune.