DailyDirt: X-Men Among Us?

from the urls-we-dig-up dept

Every so often, you might hear about some weird genetic mutation that sounds cool. Not telepathy or the ability to bend metal (there is no spoon, after all...), but there are some medical curiosities that are a bit more mundane and practical. Here are just a few examples. By the way, StumbleUpon can recommend some good Techdirt articles, too.

Beta (profile), Jul 12th, 2011 @ 5:10pm

enough for a team, and then some

Don't forget the tetrachromats (if they exist). And Oliver Sacks writes about Tourette's patients with preternaturally fast reflexes, and agnosiacs who can always tell when you're lying. Then there's the astonishing physical strength that comes with Hansen's disease, and that genetic disease that thickens your bones until you can make an appearance in Icelandic legends...

Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 12th, 2011 @ 6:10pm

Humans Are Weaklings

Somewhere along the path from our common ancestor with the other apes, our line developed a mutation which weakened our muscles considerably. This is why even chimps, for example (hardly our equal in size) are as strong as 4-10 men—it is not that they are unusually strong, it is we who are unusually weak.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 12th, 2011 @ 6:12pm

Re: Tetrachromats

Apparently they are more likely to be female than male. Apparently one woman had the (super)power to see extra shades of ... beige.

I hear she’s very good as an interior decorator.

Anonymous Coward, Jul 12th, 2011 @ 7:44pm

Interesting. Anyway, what's the tech dirt here? :)

Anonymous Coward, Jul 12th, 2011 @ 9:04pm

Tech - short for 'technology'

Dirt - short for 'shut the hell up and enjoy technology articles...or just shut the hell up'

While I am just teasing (I swear), I've really been enjoying all of the daily dirt articles.

Pixelation, Jul 12th, 2011 @ 9:43pm

"But this ability to re-grow fingertips doesn't seem to extend to other body parts"

Luckily for John Bobbit surgery often works too.

Michael Ho (profile), Jul 12th, 2011 @ 11:56pm

I've really been enjoying all of the daily dirt articles.

Thanks, AC!

Dennis, Jul 13th, 2011 @ 1:14am

superhuman?

I want the ability to regrow parts of me that have died, or are dying, with no pain, I've lived too long with it.

ethorad (profile), Jul 13th, 2011 @ 1:26am

supernumerary teeth

Coincidentally, I just had one of my supernumerary teeth removed yesterday.

As x-men mutations go it's not really up there with mind control or teleportation unfortunately. All it really did was sit on the outside of my normal row of teeth (back by the molars so it wasn't visible) and trap food. Had to have it removed before it caused problems for the real molars.

I've got another one on the other side of my mouth, but it hasn't come through yet. Will likely have to get that taken out when it does though (or when my dentist needs to make another payment on that nice new car the first operation bought!)

Beta (profile), Jul 13th, 2011 @ 6:35am

Re: Humans Are Weaklings

Should I ask for a citation, or is this Comic Book Biology?

ShellMG, Jul 13th, 2011 @ 8:31am

My son had supernumaries...in the form of two extra wisdom teeth. I'd never heard of such a thing until the orthodontist showed me the x-rays.

Oh, and surgeons charge by the tooth for removal. X(

John Nemesh, Jul 13th, 2011 @ 8:43am

I'm a mutant!

Not a terribly useful mutation, but I found out after a trip to the chiropractor that I have an extra vertebrae! Fortunately, I didnt grow a tail!

Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 13th, 2011 @ 9:54pm