DailyDirt: Water, Water, Everywhere...
from the urls-we-dig-up dept
Safe drinking water is often taken for granted, but having it is obviously fundamentally important for any community to survive and thrive. There are a lot of different ways to purify water, but the trick is to do it cheaply with available materials. Here are a few interesting links on good old H2O.
- Specially-treated sand can (cheaply!) purify water for drinking. Can't wait for DIY versions to replace Brita filters... [url]
- Leaving water in PET plastic bottles to soak up some UV sun rays can kill harmful organisms in a few hours. This is how at least 5 million people disinfect their drinking water in 30 different countries.... [url]
- Apparently, bottled water sold in the US could use some more transparent labeling. And US tap water needs a better marketing team. [url]
- NASA is working on a way to let astronauts drink their own pee safely. Yum, urine simulants! [url]
- To discover more food-related links, check out what's floating around at StumbleUpon. [url]