The Continuing Adventures Of Copyright Man... Episode 1

from the take-this-spielberg dept

On Friday, Mike was nice enough to share his Xtranormal video with us, which went through the usual arguments and rebuttals surrounding the all-encompassing evil that is copyright infringement.  It was informative, entertaining, and even provided us with some of the best original soundtrack music this side of a John Williams composition.  Sadly, one commenter was not impressed:

"good first effort. i think your missing an important point, though. what makes these things go viral is that they are funny. yours was just kind of dry." -- sumquy

I agree, non-profiled commenter whose naming convention has become something of an obsessive mystery to me (I mean, is it supposed to sound like "some guy"?  Is it a math joke?  A reference to Karate Kid evil dojo Cobra Kai?).  That's why I'm pleased to announce the latest (somewhat NSFW) blockbuster (or should I say Netflix?) from Dark Helmet Studios: The Uselessness Of Copyright(Man).

Gone are the intelligent arguments, subtle distinctions, and overall professionalism.  I replaced them all with a metro-erotic costume and a cod piece!

In any case, while I thought mine was mildly funny, I'm willing to bet the Techdirt community can do even better.  I've shown you mine (well, covered by a cod piece at least), so feel free to show me yours.

Anonymous Coward, Mar 30th, 2011 @ 11:26am

Hiiragi Kagami (profile), Mar 30th, 2011 @ 11:29am

How does one request a refund of...

...free?

3 minutes. Gone forever in the blink of an eye.

I had expected to see the cod piece adorned on our lovely Dark Helmet, but nooooo. Instead, we get some pansy dressed in tights designed to blind us.

I feel duped and I want my free back, please.

As for trading... pass. I could do better, but then I'd have to find a way to ensure it wouldn't get passed around like some drunk girl at a college frat party and this means I'd have to fight against copyright, and the battle so far isn't going so well.

But it's nice to see another defender of the cause... regardless how poorly they're dressed.
    *snickers*

Greevar (profile), Mar 30th, 2011 @ 11:29am

Yeah, but it's turds like you that keep us afloat!

Hiiragi Kagami (profile), Mar 30th, 2011 @ 11:31am

Why is it when you make a comment like this, I can't help but think you're what they're scraping from the bottom of the barrel?

Dark Helmet (profile), Mar 30th, 2011 @ 11:31am

"Mildly fun is like saying Waterworld was an amazing success. Congrats on lowering the bar once again. Techdirt continues to scrape along the bottom of the barrel."

The good news is thanks to copyright you can't share how awful I am at this with anyone else.

GASP! Copyright Man IS a hero!

Markus Hopkins (profile), Mar 30th, 2011 @ 11:37am

Hey now, I loved Waterworld. You leave my fishmen and gas (how do they still have gas?!?!) pirates alone! I also enjoyed this video. I don't think there's any inference to draw from that, right? No, of course not, couldn't be.

Marcus Carab (profile), Mar 30th, 2011 @ 11:49am

Christ, even your metaphors are self-contradictory...

coldbrew, Mar 30th, 2011 @ 11:51am

1) This video was posted at 11:18.
    2) This video is ~3 min long 11:21.
    2) Your comment is timestamped 11:26.

If you think so poorly of this site, why do you obsessively refresh this site every 3-5?

I'm starting to believe Masnick trolls his own site :)

I agree it was mildly funny. If you want really funny, I can't point you toward about 5 South Park episodes that demonstrate the absurdity of IP law and the actions of the copyright cartel that even you couldn't deny (well, you probably could).

coldbrew, Mar 30th, 2011 @ 11:54am

s/can/can't

Anonymous Coward, Mar 30th, 2011 @ 11:55am

Well *I* liked it! :)

It was funny - would be better without the stilted speech-synth, but still good.

Greevar (profile), Mar 30th, 2011 @ 12:04pm

Offshore oil rig built to stay above sea level as it changes?

Anonymous Coward, Mar 30th, 2011 @ 12:12pm

To be fair, it's all they have left, really.

Kevin (profile), Mar 30th, 2011 @ 12:14pm

well said

Anonymous Coward, Mar 30th, 2011 @ 12:45pm

Is the copyright man wearing a condom to imply he is safe in some weird sexual reference kind of way?

Anonymous Coward, Mar 30th, 2011 @ 12:47pm

Right?

Dark Helmet (profile), Mar 30th, 2011 @ 12:50pm

"Oh...I get it know, he is wearing a condom on his head so to say he is a d-head LoL

Right?"

Much in the same manner as Inception, I've created this masterpiece in a way that leaves it open to the interpretation of the individual, thereby highlighting the film's stance on state of the human condition.

Or maybe I just wanted Copyright Man to look foolish.

It's definitely one of the two....

Tom The Toe, Mar 30th, 2011 @ 1:03pm

Re: The Bottom of the Barrel

"So which is it? Did they lower the bar, or are they scraping the bottom of the barrel?"
    No, it's lowering the bar into the barrel and using said bar to scrape the bottom.

Anonymous Coward, Mar 30th, 2011 @ 1:09pm

The real problem is that if this really represented even a part of your feelings on the topic, then you are no longer really in a position to discuss much. You have crossed past reasonable consideration, and moved off to being a narrow minded dick. You and Marcus must get along well.

Dark Helmet (profile), Mar 30th, 2011 @ 1:25pm

"The real problem is that if this really represented even a part of your feelings on the topic, then you are no longer really in a position to discuss much. You have crossed past reasonable consideration, and moved off to being a narrow minded dick."

....let's play a game called who can make the most ironic statement. Too late. You win....

Anonymous Coward, Mar 30th, 2011 @ 1:25pm

TAM, your irony deserves an award.

Rekrul, Mar 30th, 2011 @ 1:28pm

The voice synth for Copyright Man was pretty good. At times it sounded real.

lego (profile), Mar 30th, 2011 @ 1:39pm

I Do Not FUCKING KNOW

Anonymous Coward, Mar 30th, 2011 @ 1:52pm

Re: Re: Re: Re:

Even after the content was over, your late entry took the cake.

What is sad is that you really believe yourself.

Marcus Carab (profile), Mar 30th, 2011 @ 1:55pm

You and Marcus must get along well

Think of it as an uneasy alliance: sometimes us thinking folk must band together in the face of inscrutable idiocy

Chuck Norris' Enemy (deceased) (profile), Mar 30th, 2011 @ 2:52pm

Re: How does one request a refund of...

To quote an anonymous Washington, D.C. Radiohead fan that went to pick up the free newspaper the band was releasing in conjunction with their new album yesterday...but the band's site posted an incorrect address - "Fuck them for not giving us something for free!"

Anonymous Coward, Mar 30th, 2011 @ 2:57pm

I liked the part where the guy did some stuff, and then some things happened. I want to grow up to be Copyright Man, or Tim....I can't decide which.

Marcus Carab (profile), Mar 30th, 2011 @ 3:40pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:

Woah, BURN! Um, I think. Actually I have no idea what this comment means.

vivaelamor (profile), Mar 30th, 2011 @ 3:46pm

Subtitles

Put this and this together if you want subtitles.

Ha ha at Xtranormal thinking Ha was an abbreviation for hectare.

Marcus Carab (profile), Mar 30th, 2011 @ 4:01pm

While I do appreciate the sentiment, you've been saying this constantly for weeks (months?) now, and I'm starting to think it's all you have left, really.

It's a good'un, to be sure - but come on dude, you must have some new material by now!

Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 30th, 2011 @ 4:33pm

Why Do Villains ...

... always have an English accent?

vivaelamor (profile), Mar 30th, 2011 @ 5:20pm

Re: Why Do Villains ...

Yet strangely this one uses seemingly Northern Irish language (wee boyo).

vivaelamor (profile), Mar 30th, 2011 @ 5:23pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:

"Actually I have no idea what this comment means."

It means Dark Helmet riled them up so much that they can't type straight.

Anonymous Coward, Mar 30th, 2011 @ 6:34pm

Re: Re: Re: Re:

But the Pirate Coalition is paying me $0.003 per recycled post. New material only garners $0.002. Don't blame me, blame the system ,man!

Nom du Clavier (profile), Mar 30th, 2011 @ 11:47pm

I think the anon in question was scraping the bottom of the barrel with that lowered bar of his.

Maybe he'll regale us with the Massive Memes of Mixed-Up Metaphor-Man!

Anonymous Coward, Mar 31st, 2011 @ 12:34am

They REALLY need to replace the audio tracks on these things. The video is somewhat good, but the computer-generated voices suck.

Anonymous Coward, Mar 31st, 2011 @ 2:24am

I bow in the presence of your supreme capabilities my lord!

Anonymous Coward, Mar 31st, 2011 @ 4:14am

Dammit! I saw this 20x already.

Anonymous Coward, Mar 31st, 2011 @ 4:39am

you could try the competition like Go!Animate or Ivona and see if those voices get better :)

Anonymous Coward, Mar 31st, 2011 @ 4:42am

Marcus Carab (profile), Mar 31st, 2011 @ 6:42am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:

Hahaha...
    okay, all is forgiven :)

Any Mouse (profile), Mar 31st, 2011 @ 11:26am

Nope, still can't see it. Doesn't load up on my end, for some reason. Ah, well.

Anonymous Coward, Mar 31st, 2011 @ 3:26pm

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110329/10345813676/continuing-adventures-copyright-man-episode-1. shtml#c426

In that comment you will find a link to the file so you can download with another link to a srt subtitle if you want to.

If you want to be more geeky you can open this page source code and search for flv or mp4 and you will find the link to the video(ps: also work in pr0n sites LoL).

sumquy, Mar 31st, 2011 @ 6:09pm

much better. i will link to that one.

once upon a time there lived the greatest teenage hacker in all the world. his handle was 5umquy, cuz all the cool hackers had cool screen names. months and years went by and one day the hacker realized he wasn't a hacker after all. he was just another netsysadmin. kept the handle, anyway.

nasch (profile), Apr 1st, 2011 @ 9:15pm

Re: How does one request a refund of...

3 minutes. Gone forever in the blink of an eye.

It takes you three minutes to blink your eye??

steve, Jun 1st, 2011 @ 9:23am

Watch Toriko Episodes Movies English Subbed Dubbed Online. HD Stream Episodes for FREE at TorikoGet. For details: http://www.torikoget.com/