Not Many French Users Scared Away From File Sharing By Hadopi

from the there-goes-that-plan dept

One of the main arguments made by the entertainment industry in support of three strikes rules is that it won't really kick people off the internet, because so many people would just stop file sharing. It looks like that's not really happening. A new survey in France suggests that only 4% of people have decided not to file share since the new rules were put into effect. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to ask whether or not any of those people actually started buying music instead, but I would doubt it. A lot larger percentage said they'd keep on downloading, with many taking more precautions not to get caught. Meanwhile, about 75% of those surveyed said they didn't download at all... but they're not thrilled that they now have to pay higher ISP fees to cover the costs of Hadopi.

Anonymous Coward, Jan 14th, 2011 @ 3:55pm

I'm not sure how polling works but phoning people at home to ask them whether they download stuff is bound to make many respondents falsely answer they download nothing. Ever.

Le Internet? I don't have Le Internet, Madame.

The Infamous Joe (profile), Jan 14th, 2011 @ 4:01pm

Exactly. So, that 4% that said they would now stop are probably just paying lip service for the survey.

Bill M., Jan 14th, 2011 @ 4:08pm

Problem:

Problem #1: Sharp swords are too brutal for most things, and will eventually cause outright revolt.

Problem #2: Dull swords don't scare anybody.

Solution: Try not using fear to control the thoughts and actions of others.

Anonymous Coward, Jan 14th, 2011 @ 4:11pm

Which makes the survey even more astounding.
    People are not even trying to couceal anything anymore they are just right saying in the face of the opposition "F. You!", in no uncertain terms.

Is that not beautiful?

Anonymous Coward, Jan 14th, 2011 @ 4:20pm

Finally, 80% do not download, or almost never. The effect of the Act Hadopi on these Internet users is zero, although one could reasonably assume under-reporting on illegal downloading (without have data to revise downwards the figure).

Yep, I'm in the 80% there, not pirating and not buying LoL

In the meanwhile Jamendo is great, I can't stress that enough.

Anonymous Coward, Jan 14th, 2011 @ 4:26pm

Fairly simple explanation: file sharing is now a part of the social structure.

People jaywalk, because it's beneficial to them to do so, and the risk is well worth the reward.

People speed, because the value proposition of "getting there faster," is worth the potential higher risk of loss of life.

No law will cease people's desire to share information.

Anonymous Coward, Jan 14th, 2011 @ 4:30pm

It is scary how the Pareto Rule is so consistent.

Kurata, Jan 14th, 2011 @ 4:54pm

Just for trivias concerning file sharing : http://www.01net.com/editorial/526962/orange-dement-brider-l-acces-au-site-megaupload/

Everything in a nutshell, orange is an ISP in france, and megaupload accuses it of capping bandwidth to megaupload. proofs are most complaints are coming from orange users, while others don't complain as much.
    Orange replying by saying "megaupload is using shitty access point for orange users and better ones for free and others isps".

second trivia : http://www.01net.com/editorial/526958/une-affaire-de-piratage-devant-la-cour-des-droits-de-lhomme/

basically, fernch man accused of file sharing Pre-Hadopi era, tried to get a 3rd retry on his case, but was rejected.
    So he brings his story to the European court of humans rights, most likely for the following reasons : he's not illegally file-sharing, he's merely spreading culture". Also, he's afraid of acta actually hurting poor countries.

Anonymous Coward, Jan 14th, 2011 @ 6:06pm

AA meeting for filesharer's.

Hi my name is Anonymous Coward and I am 1 year without online piracy. It is hard work and my live changed once I gave up that life, all the opportunities and things I didn't pay attention before came right in front of my eyes, I was a slave to consumerism and didn't notice how dependent I have become to things that truly did me harm.

ps: How would people call that Anonymous Filesharer's meetings?

Anonymous Coward, Jan 14th, 2011 @ 6:08pm

AA meeting for filesharer's.

ps: How would people call that Anonymous Filesharer's meetings?

Christopher (profile), Jan 14th, 2011 @ 8:16pm

All anyone has to do is use encryption on .rar files downloaded from Hotfile, Fileshare, etc.... unable to be tracked, period.

Also, just use HTTPS on websites that are 'iffy'... no monitoring can get through that, that I know of!

HADOPI is a waste of time, money and energy.... unfortunately, the corporations have bullied France into adopting it through "WE WILL PULL OUT OF YOUR COUNTRY UNLESS YOU DO THIS!"

I'd really like to see a country call their bluff (it's a shallow bluff) and tell them "Fine, leave! Don't let the door hit you on the way out!"
    The corporations wouldn't leave... they are making too much money even with their 'losses' from piracy.

Ed C., Jan 14th, 2011 @ 9:01pm

I think that some of those execs are actually dumb enough to pull the trigger and pull at least some of their content from a country that stands up to them. Of course, the only thing that would accomplish is a 100% piracy rate! It should only take a quarter or two after the sales bottom out for the companies to fire those execs for their incompetence.

Hephaestus (profile), Jan 14th, 2011 @ 9:23pm

It all depends on the wording of the survey also.

-) do you steal Intelletual property online?
    -) are you a Intelletual property pirate?
    -) do you infringe on Intelletual property?
    ...
    -) do you download stuff?

Now for some Record label math and hype ...

Last year better than 50% of the french population was pirating, this survey shows that less than 25% of the french population now pirate. Hadopi has been a huge success. I mean its not like people will lie if called out of the blue about piracy when it will kick you off the internet.

I am on a camel, hand me that horse and buggy.

Hephaestus (profile), Jan 14th, 2011 @ 9:27pm

oh and I forgot 3 c's

IntelleCtual property
    IntelleCtual property
    IntelleCtual property

I am so glad I fixed that. To bad its not that easy in real life.

Anonymous Coward, Jan 14th, 2011 @ 10:39pm

When I was downloading music from sharing sites I also bought more than $100 of music a year. Now with all the BS the Real Ignorant Assholes of America started I now download NO MUSIC, PAY $0 a year on Music , AND advised all friends and family and anyone else to read the bumber sticker on my car to avoid RIAA backed music due to their EXTORTION of musci customers.

Good Job RIAA
    dumbasses

mike allen (profile), Jan 14th, 2011 @ 11:44pm

Laws wont stop anything just drive it deeper underground. They have never stopped anything this way. As to being thrown off the web hahaha even false names will be used.

Anonymous Coward, Jan 15th, 2011 @ 2:14am

No all one has to do is use a free service like Pandora or LastFM or something like it if they want to go after that crap they are selling to get it for free and legally, but it would be better if people started to pay attention to licenses and started using services that gave them their rights back like Jamendo.

Also some industry people have noticed the huge growth free services like Pandora are experiencing. Apparently people are going all legit and are not "buying" LoL

http://www.zeropaid.com/news/91984/riaa-admits-p2p-not-solely-to-blame-for-decreased-music-sa les/

Anonymous Coward, Jan 15th, 2011 @ 7:53am

Just remember to keep your radio off, not watch TV, and certainly don't go see a movie. All of those support the RIAA.

Stop consuming it for a while. Don't just stop buying it, stop using it. If you keep using it, you have failed. Delete all that stuff off your hard drives and pod. Listen only to independent acts, ones with no record label deal, ones getting no airplay, no nothing.

Go ahead, live without it. If the RIAA is so bad, stop using their product entirely.

I dare you to try :)

Anonymous Coward, Jan 15th, 2011 @ 8:07am

deeper underground is fine. Low levels of very secret, very hush-hush file sharing won't bother anyone. What bothers the production side right now is that the piracy is wide open, public, and is sucking in people who otherwise wouldn't take anything without paying in their normal lives.

You turn piracy into a 5% problem tomorrow instead of the 20%-50% problem it is today, and I am sure everyone will be happy.

So please, take it underground as fast as you can. Just be careful who you give the passwords too, because it will get you shut down!

The Infamous Joe (profile), Jan 15th, 2011 @ 8:41am

Low levels of very secret, very hush-hush file sharing won't bother anyone.

So, you belong to the camp that believes because you can't see it, it must not exist, eh? Just because something is hidden does not mean it is small.

Allow me to educate you. Find a song on your computer. Any will do. Next, click on it. Now hit Ctrl+C. Now hit Ctrl+V. Have you taken something without paying? So, it's clear the act of copying isn't taking without paying. Next lesson. Highlight some text in this comment. Hit Ctrl+C. Now open a txt file on your computer. Now press Ctrl+V. Did you just take something without paying? So, copying something on a remote server and putting it on a local one isn't taking without paying. So, how is copying a song on a remote server and putting it on a local machine taking without paying?

You've got to think. I know, it's scary.

The Infamous Joe (profile), Jan 15th, 2011 @ 8:52am

I don't know if you're an idiot or you made a typo. but keep in mind that the RIAA and the MPAA are separate organizations.

But, since you brought it up, I, for one, do not listen to the radio or watch (much) TV, and I very rarely *go* to see a movie.

If you keep using it, you have failed.

I'd like to see the reasoning, if any, that you used to come up with this.

I want to revise my earlier comment. There is no longer any doubt about whether or not you are an idiot. There are several labels that do not belong to the RIAA. Being on a label does not immediately mean that those bands are anti-fan. Further, "no nothing" is a pretty vague requirement, isn't it?

I dare you to try :)

I'm holding out for you to double-dog dare me.

Anonymous Coward, Jan 15th, 2011 @ 8:59am

ToO bad...

Here, I had an extra o I wasn't using. ;)

Anonymous Coward, Jan 15th, 2011 @ 12:18pm

Movies have soundtracks, genius.

vivaelamor (profile), Jan 15th, 2011 @ 1:43pm

"Somebody should do a survey on how much people buy after they stop pirating or something like that."

It wouldn't be very interesting without knowing where their money is going. If for some insane reason I were to stop 'pirating' then I would probably just continue buying the exact same stuff that I buy while doing so. Which is almost everyone who isn't in some way associated with the RIAA and. in the case of music downloads, offers a decent choice of formats.

vivaelamor (profile), Jan 15th, 2011 @ 1:47pm

"It is scary how the Pareto Rule is so consistent."

That comment has so much wrong with it.

vivaelamor (profile), Jan 15th, 2011 @ 1:54pm

"Stop consuming it for a while. Don't just stop buying it, stop using it. If you keep using it, you have failed."

Why is that a failure? I see many people suggesting this sort of thing, but haven't seen a remotely compelling reason for anyone to take it seriously.

Anonymous Coward, Jan 16th, 2011 @ 5:19pm

It is sort of a misleading study, because the risk part has not come into play yet.

Half of the people say they won't change anything. But these are people who at best have 1 strike. When they get to strike 2, or when people start getting strike 3 and lose their internet connection, you will see more of them change their minds.

4% swearing off in a single round is pretty good to start. half the people who remain being more cautious is also a good sign.

Same survey after round 2 should be way more interesting. It's too early to declare the law ineffective.

Anonymous Coward, Jan 16th, 2011 @ 7:52pm

Dude seriously go to Jamendo and you will find all the music you want and won't be paying the RIAA.

Further TV is still free and people can record it last I checked, no need to pay anything to anybody there, but if that it not enough people can go and use MIRO or VODO to all their video needs, recently I saw the blendercomics being launched.

Looks like in this next decade the free legal competition will be getting harder to ignore for much longer.

About your dare, well you lost dude, 1 year without buying a movie, a CD, or a book, nothing not a penny for you douches.

On the other hand I spend money on free software, librivox, Jamendo and other places I just won't spend money with you ever, your kind is toxic waste for me, and I wouldn't touch it with a 3 meter(that works out to about 10 feet) pole.

Anonymous Coward, Jan 16th, 2011 @ 7:54pm

I think what you meant to say was that you want piracy to be more hush hush instead of people telling each other for the whole world to see.

Piracy was never 5%, only in the sheets of flawed sampling statistics, in the real world everybody took whatever they wanted and that is since the 70's.

Anonymous Coward, Jan 16th, 2011 @ 10:26pm

Well, since most people don't download music anymore from bittorrent I'm fairly sure it is ineffective for all intents and purposes.

No people are not flocking to cyberlockers either, they are going in droves to free legal services.