Foursquare Offers New Badge Mocking TSA

from the Proud-To-Be-Groped dept

As I've mentioned in the recent past, I think humor is an effective weapon in highlighting wrong doing. There's a long tradition of groups and individuals who have reacted to hardships of various degrees by using humor. Everything from Hitler to the debate on intellectual property has been covered.

So color me amused AND encouraged when I see that Foursquare (those quirky folks that help you "check in" to places) has released a new badge just in time for the Thanksgiving holiday. It's called the Baggage Handler badge. During one of the country's busiest travel seasons, you can now "check in at any airport and include something like "TSA," "grope" or -- my personal favorite -- "Don't touch my junk, bro!" in your shout." You will then receive an unlock text letting you know that "you've had your baggage handled".

It's funny, to be sure, but I wonder if this won't have an even more profound effect. It's long been said that all tyranny needs in order to grow is the indifference of good people. I would imagine that, given the popularity of Foursquare and social media sites, this humorous take on the enhanced screening tactics of the TSA will only spotlight the issues and absurdity even more, perhaps engaging the interest of those otherwise indifferent people.

Phillip Vector (profile), Nov 24th, 2010 @ 2:34pm

Revolution

I think we are starting to see (finally) this country starting to wake up. It's a wonderful thing to witness IMO.

netwrok, Nov 24th, 2010 @ 3:51pm

I'm going to download it and hang it on my wall, even though I'm not going to fly anywhere in the near future. I just want to feel like I'm part of 'the movement'.

Eugene (profile), Nov 24th, 2010 @ 6:28pm

Re: Revolution

Well I'd wish they'd be more organized about waking up. Opt-out day didn't really work out so well.

Gene Cavanaugh, Nov 26th, 2010 @ 10:40am

TSA bashing AGAIN!

Hey, let's provide containers of explosives at the entrance to an aircraft and encourage terrorists to help themselves as they board. After all, who cares about being blown up if you can avoid tyranny.
    Wait, that means we would have to require the police do the same - maybe we should require the police not to arrest anyone? "Sorry, sir, but if you continue to rob banks and kill people, we will tell your Mama!".

Anonymous Coward, Nov 26th, 2010 @ 2:38pm

I don't have the money to do it, but I'd love to see t-shirts for sale that mock TSA. Maybe shirts that say "I spent 3 hours in line and got groped by the TSA"

Miso Susanowa, Nov 28th, 2010 @ 3:18am

humor and oppression

ha, great work by Foursquare! Satire and humor can often help tremendously in at least clearing your head of propaganda and disinformation and restoring you to a sane thinking process.

I have created an installation in Second Life called 'State of Mind' which highlights several issues, including the infamous "If You See Something, Say Something" campaign. Information about this installation can be found on the Four Bridges project page, a partner of Amnesty International:

unfortunately you have to be in Second Life to tour this installation, but a machinima of it is available at:

keep laughing; it clears your mind, allows you to think past the adrenaline-triggers and offers you some hope of remaining clear-headed and open-eyed in the midst of the paranoia and pressure to conform.

RandomGuy (profile), Nov 30th, 2010 @ 6:41pm

Re: Re: Revolution

It didn't? It caused the TSA to shut off their machine. Nobody got scanned.

I think that it worked brilliantly!

Anonymous Coward, Dec 24th, 2010 @ 2:05pm

no machines wee shut off