With Skype announcing a planned IPO this week, there didn't seem to be that much to comment on. However, people digging through the filing found one previously unknown tidbit that's generating some buzz. Apparently, the Rupert Murdoch-owned satellite broadcasting company BskyB has been involved in a long legal battle with Skype over its name. Apparently, BSkyB thinks anything using the letters "sky" infringes on its trademark. Of course, it's difficult to see how anyone could possibly be confused, but BSkyB claims to have market research that says otherwise, and apparently an EU ruling has agreed -- though Skype is planning to appeal.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Trademarks, Beer, Vampires, Zombies... And Lawyers
- Small Roaster Beats Starbucks Over Their Charbucks Blend
- The Day Counterfeit Jerseys Saved Soccer
- Company 'Thanks' Blogger For Positive Review By Sending C&D Claiming 'Unauthorized Trademark Use'
- University With History Of Free Speech Violations Abuses Trademark Law In Clumsy Attempt To Shut Down Critical Blog