DailyDirt: Actually, It *Is* Soylent Green...

from the urls-we-dig-up dept

People eat a lot of weird things, but most folks frown upon cannibalism. Some forms of cannibalism are more socially acceptable than others. Here are just a few examples of people eating other people (or parts of them). By the way, StumbleUpon can also recommend some good Techdirt articles, too.

daawid345 (profile), Apr 19th, 2012 @ 5:35pm

Good article

Torg (profile), Apr 19th, 2012 @ 5:55pm

That fourth one is actually something I've wanted to do for a while. When artificial hearts hit the market, I have every intention of literally eating my heart out.

Anonymous Coward, Apr 19th, 2012 @ 6:03pm

You can do this with a pig heart and your own blood. They use something in dish soap to clear ti out, then you pump the blood in and it becomes your heart.

See NOVA "Can We Live Forever"

Pretty neat all in all. You could live quite some time until you suffered brain death.

Anonymous Coward, Apr 19th, 2012 @ 6:19pm

My girlfriend and I eat each other regularly.

Torg (profile), Apr 19th, 2012 @ 6:49pm

Interesting. I'd thought that only human hearts worked, and that was why we need donors so badly. It'd still have that annoying beating, though, and eating my old heart while using a manmade one has a nice mad science aspect to it; I can wait for a better model.

And really, until brain death? That's far too soon.

Anonymous Coward, Apr 19th, 2012 @ 7:22pm

Brain death is the only true death. Even if you put the brain in a new container, brain death is what to worry about. If you could transport all the contents of the brain into a machine, you may live longer.

Eventually your brain will suffer from cell death, smoothing, rot, etc.

Trying to live forever is a foolish man's ambition. Best case scenario might be right around 300 years. This also assumes you would want to live that long. Also that the machine your existence relies on is taken care of better then you took care of your body.

Simple electrical short is all would it would take to whack your brain in a machine.

Anonymous Coward, Apr 19th, 2012 @ 8:45pm

Food?

Please, don't name these as food link. It makes me feel disgusting.

Pixelation, Apr 19th, 2012 @ 10:13pm

Um, Michael, is there something you would like to tell us?

Michael Ho (profile), Apr 20th, 2012 @ 10:55am

Pixelation, I'm Catholic? :P

Chris in Utah (profile), Apr 20th, 2012 @ 1:06pm

Hey Michael

Hey, Michael if ya ever wanted to write for cracked.com I'm pretty sure digging up things like this is a qualification. Just a thought. lol

Pixelation, Apr 20th, 2012 @ 2:58pm

I had no idea there were Catholic cannibals...

Michael Ho (profile), Apr 20th, 2012 @ 3:05pm

I guess it depends on how literal you are with that....

Michael Ho (profile), Apr 20th, 2012 @ 3:06pm

Re: Hey Michael

Chris, is that your way of saying you don't like our 5:00pm posts every day..?

Anonymous Coward, Apr 20th, 2012 @ 4:40pm

We ain't nothing but mammals. Well, some of us are cannibals who cut each other open like cantaloupes.
    I would say more, but it's dinnertime, and I'm having leftover rapper in the basement.

Anonymous Coward, Apr 20th, 2012 @ 4:45pm

Girlfriend? WTF is that?!