DailyDirt: There's One For You, Nineteen For Me
from the urls-we-dig-up dept
This year, April 15th isn't the deadline for filing your taxes, you can wait until Tuesday, April 17th -- thanks to Emancipation Day. Enjoy those extra couple days and a few of these tax-related links.
- Death and taxes are unavoidable, but it's a strange coincidence that there's a statistically significant increase in car accident fatalities on Tax Day. Unfortunately, it seems that electronic filing hasn't had much of an impact on Tax Day car accidents. [url]
- Sherman Friend, 69, evaded income taxes on his lottery winning to the tune of $132,000 -- in a scheme involving getting his friends to cash in his winnings for him. The tax evasion plot has been reported clearly, but the winnings were collected on a large number of 50-cent tickets in Pennsylvania's daily Big 4 game. [url]
- The IRS needs some help for keeping track of organizations that provide free tax preparation services to low-income and elderly taxpayers. Over 88,000 volunteers prepared about 3.1 million Federal tax returns in 2011, and the IRS could improve on how it manages its Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program. [url]
- Not sure if you can deduct your haircuts as a business expense? Um, you can't. A list of other non-deductible expenses include: vet bills, pets as dependents, gym memberships, cosmetic surgeries... [url]
- To discover more interesting business-related content, check out what the deal is on StumbleUpon. [url]