It's another victory for fair use, as a judge has sided with the producers of the animated series Family Guy in a lawsuit over whether the song When You Wish Upon A Star was infringed by a parody song. The judge sided with Family Guy, noting that the song was used for humorous intent, and the "wholesome" association between the original and the movie Pinocchio made the song ripe for parody. This isn't the first time Family Guy has won lawsuits from people who are apparently unaware of the legal acceptance of parody... Somehow, it's unlikely to be the last time either.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- GoldieBlox Pulls Beastie Boys Video, Promises To Drop Legal Dispute
- Myth Busting: Yes, An Advertisement Can Be Fair Use Parody
- Goldieblox May Be Right About Fair Use, But Wrong About Claiming You Need A License To Link To Its Site
- Beastie Boys Say They Don't Want Music In Ads, But Fair Use Doesn't Care
- Missed Opportunity: Beastie Boys Should Have Supported Viral Parody 'Girls' Song, Rather Than Claiming Infringement