Only two years or so after we questioned why anyone would seriously consider the notoriously unreliable SMS text messaging system for emergency alerts, the mobile trade group 3G Americas has released a research report stating the same thing. Basically, the system isn't reliable or efficient, and in an emergency is likely to get overloaded quickly. It's not clear why it took anyone until now to notice this, but hopefully no one was seriously considering using SMS for emergency alerts.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Olympics Shuts Down Non-Commercial Online Service That Helped People Get Tickets
- California Legalizes Some Texting While Driving, Sort Of
- Mobile Carriers Don't Want To Give Up SMS Without A Fight
- Unexpected New Years SMS From Mobile Operator May Have Killed Would Be Suicide Bomber
- Egypt Trying To Shut Off All Internet Access, SMS