At some point, you have to just think that Chinese officials will say anything about the Internet and it need not be based in any sort of reality. Earlier this week, of course, China was blaming the Internet for youth violence, making the very weak case that since many kids caught doing crimes used the Internet, obviously it was at fault. However, President Hu Jintao is kicking things up a notch. Earlier this year, he suggested that the Internet needed to be purified, and now he's provided some details. Apparently the way to purify the Internet is to make sure that there are plenty of Marxist and socialist ideas online which will somehow entice people away from the decadent aspects of the Internet. He even admits that its propaganda he's talking about. Perhaps it's just a cultural thing, but it seems like you should be able to support your position with facts rather than admitting it's propaganda.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Companies Developing Crowd Analysis Programs To Detect 'Abnormalities' In Behavior And Match Faces Against Giant Databases
- Facebook Needs To Learn It Can't Teach Tolerance By Acting As An Overzealous Censor
- Microsoft To Encrypt Data Center Links; Says NSA Hacking Would Be Unconstitutional
- EasyDNS Continues To Fight Bogus Website Seizures By City Of London Police After Verisign Issues 'No Decision'
- School Firewalls And Their Blocks On 'Gay/Lesbian Issues'