It's been clear for some time that the big challenge for the movie theater industry is to make the experience of going to the movies much more enjoyable. Otherwise, people will choose to stay home and watch movies on their 60" plasma TVs with surround sound. Some theaters don't seem to understand this at all, while others are smartly experimenting with new ways to get people in the door. In what might sound like a blast from the past, many in Hollywood are revisiting the idea of 3D movies, complete with sleekly-designed 3D glasses. Proponents of 3D movies insist that today's 3D is nothing like it used to be. It's not about an object flying at the audience and making everyone duck. Instead, they say, it's about creating a truly immersive experience. Apparently, the concept has a lot of backers as future Shrek movies will be done in 3D along with some stuff being done by James Cameron and Peter Jackson. In a way, the concept still seems gimmicky, but that doesn't mean it's a bad idea. As long as studios insist on making $200 million movies, they might as well pull out all of the stops to make them as fun to watch as they possible. And while they're at it, how about adding Smell-o-vision as well.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Stopping 23andMe Will Only Delay The Revolution Medicine Needs
- Abusing The Surveillance Scandal To Punish Internet Freedom Even More
- Bruce Schneier On The Feudal Internet And How To Fight It
- US Free Trade Agreements Are Bad Not Just For The Economy, But For The Environment, Too
- James Clapper Thinks That NSA Employees Will Sell Out Our Nation After A Few Days Without A Paycheck