Remember how the government made sure to effectively ban online poker because it was evil? As noted, they carved out a few nice exceptions for the type of gambling they liked, specifically lotteries and horse racing. Lotteries make sense because they're very profitable for governments. Horse racing seems to get an okay because... well... we're guessing that a lot of politicians like to play the ponies. So, it probably comes as no surprise that New York state is now letting people bet on horse races both online and via mobile phones. It's not clear to us why other kinds of online gambling are dangerous for your soul, but betting on horses from anywhere at any time is just dandy. Somehow, I don't expect politicians will explain it, because it's unlikely that they have a very good answer.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Feds Insist It Must Be Kept Secret Whether Or Not Plaintiff In No Fly List Trial Is Actually On The No Fly List
- Documents Show LA Sheriff's Department Hired Thieves, Statutory Rapists And Bad Cops
- Unarmed Man Charged With Assault Because NYC Police Shot At Him And Hit Random Pedestrians
- Judge In No Fly Case Explains To DOJ That It Can't Claim Publicly Released Info Is Secret
- German Court Says CEO Of Open Source Company Liable For 'Illegal' Functions Submitted By Community