There's been a lot of interest in developing new payment systems, many of them focusing on hot spaces, like mobile or social (settling debts between friends). But money is just one form of currency used among friends. In social settings, debts are often settled by buying a friend something like a beer; this is particularly so with respect to informal debts, like returning a favor. In Australia, one company is partnering with bars and clubs so that you can send someone a drink via SMS. Upon receipt of the message, the user can take the code up to the bar and redeem the drink. It's probably pointless to use the service if you're actually at the bar with your friend, but if you can't make a friend's birthday party, and still want to do something nice, it could come in handy. Of course the real killer use of this service would be if you could SMS a drink to someone else at the bar, without knowing their number. For guys who are too shy to go up to a girl and buy her a drink directly, the mobile intermediary could be just the ticket.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- DailyDirt: Nature Abhors A Vacuum
- Police Who Seized Woman's Phone As 'Evidence' Of Bogus Crime Now Complaining About Criticism
- NY Police Chief Kelly Taking $1.5 Million Worth Of Publicly-Funded Bodyguards With Him When He Retires
- Newest Leak Shows NSA, GCHQ Infiltrated World Of Warcraft, Second Life
- Prenda's Paul Duffy Claims To Be 'Too Devastated' By Nelson Mandela's Death To Comment