Seth Finkelstein writes "The Free Expression Policy Project asks: "Are increasingly heavy assertions of control by copyright and trademark owners smothering fair use and free expression? The product of more than a year of research, [the report by Marjorie Heins and Tricia Beckles] "Will Fair Use Survive"? (Techdirt warning: annoying PDF File) paints a striking picture of an intellectual property system that is perilously out of balance."" Interesting stuff. Really wish they would publish it as straight HTML though, instead of as a PDF file. There are times when a PDF makes sense. This isn't one of them. Anyway, it's become clear that many in the content creation business have started taking the position that fair use doesn't exist and is some sort of "myth" made up by others -- rather than an important element of copyright that is codified in law. This has been going on for years, of course. Jack Valenti used to always deny fair use existed.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Witness In No Fly List Trial, Who Was Blocked From Flying To The Trial, Shows That DOJ Flat Out Lied In Court
- Feds Insist It Must Be Kept Secret Whether Or Not Plaintiff In No Fly List Trial Is Actually On The No Fly List
- Documents Show LA Sheriff's Department Hired Thieves, Statutory Rapists And Bad Cops
- Unarmed Man Charged With Assault Because NYC Police Shot At Him And Hit Random Pedestrians
- Judge In No Fly Case Explains To DOJ That It Can't Claim Publicly Released Info Is Secret