Last week we wrote about the odd saga of a well known Swedish programmer, Rick Downes, who was arrested in Greece on charges of spamming people. The programmer's wife, Sydney Phillips, has updated us with a few more details, though the story still seems confusing. It appears, based on what they're being told and also a story in the local newspaper, that the police believe that the spam (for Viagra, Cialis and Valium) show that he was dealing in illegal drugs -- despite no evidence to actually connect Downes to the spam. It also appears another Swedish citizen was arrested the same day for drug dealing -- and so the police contend that this is a drug ring involving at least the two Swedes: "We were shown three printouts of spam messages without full headers. The first was from Rick, showing the lady how her online enquiry forms for her travel business were not working. The next two were sent from the domain 'acnielsen.com' and advertised Viagra, Cialis, and 'Valjuum' [sic]. There was a convoluted URL for click-throughs, but we don't have that - we were not allowed to keep copies of any of the documents. When the police asked what our profession was, we said 'computer security consultants'. They understood the word 'computer', and they even understood the word 'consultant', but they did not understand the word 'security', and so they wrote that we are 'computer specialists'. When Rick tried to show them the letters from acnielsen.com were not his, they did not understand. He told them to look at the 'From:' field. They did not know what that was. He pointed to it - pointed to 'acnielsen.com' - and their eyes just glazed over." Again, at this point, all of the info we're getting is coming from Phillips, and while we have no reason to doubt her, it would be nice if anyone else had additional info on the situation.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Feds Insist It Must Be Kept Secret Whether Or Not Plaintiff In No Fly List Trial Is Actually On The No Fly List
- Documents Show LA Sheriff's Department Hired Thieves, Statutory Rapists And Bad Cops
- Unarmed Man Charged With Assault Because NYC Police Shot At Him And Hit Random Pedestrians
- Judge In No Fly Case Explains To DOJ That It Can't Claim Publicly Released Info Is Secret
- German Court Says CEO Of Open Source Company Liable For 'Illegal' Functions Submitted By Community