Skype has been talking about a Skype handset before, and now it's apparently coming out. Tom Keating has the scoop and a detailed review of the new Skype cordless phone built by Linksys. From the description, it certainly sounds like they did a lot of things right for what was being built. However, what remains to be seen is whether or not the Skype revolution needs its very own proprietary handset. Most people already have a phone. In many cases they have more than one: a landline or a VoIP line and a mobile phone. This new device has to be separate from all that. So, now you have a third phone that only works if your computer is on and has to work through Skype. This isn't convergence... it's just adding to the pile of gadgets.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- TSA Agent: Give Me That Toy Monkey Gun Or I'm Calling The Real Cops
- Feinstein And Rogers Try To Scare Americans With Ooga Booga Terrorism Threats
- Lessons Learned From Adam Lanza's Video Game Obsession: Blame Dance Dance Revolution
- Editorial Claims Houston Prosecutors Are Pushing Through Nearly 1,000 Sex Trafficking Indictments Every Day
- Where Is The 'Free Trade' In The TPP IP Chapter?