DirecTV is reportedly eyeing wireless broadband (which apparently Red Herring believes is only possible with WiMAX), with the company's CEO saying it's looking at partnerships, alliances or investments in the space. DirecTV has been in and out of the broadband market before, reselling DSL for a while and tinkering with satellite net access as well. It's not surprising to hear the company's looking to wireless though, since the triple play that's becoming the MO for TV and broadband providers has made cable providers and telcos -- the only other options for broadband -- its competitors.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- T-Mobile Bucks Another Crazy Mobile Phone Trend: Dumps International Roaming Charges
- How Ruling On WiFi Snooping Means Security Researchers May Face Criminal Liability
- DailyDirt: Get Your Own Satellite
- Court Says WiFi Isn't Radio Because It's Not Audio; Therefore WiFi Sniffing Can Be Wiretapping
- DailyDirt: Is There A Better Word For Wireless?