1996 is calling, and it wants its business model back... Remember the time when Yahoo launched MyYahoo as a free portal? And companies like Rocketmail and Hotmail first hit the scene with their ideas for free, web-based email? Yeah, well, it appears that AOL has just figured that stuff out, and is starting to offer free web-based email and more content in a free portal. This, just three years or so after plenty of folks told them that pushing further into a walled garden mentality probably wasn't going to do much for their business. And people wonder why the company is struggling...
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Declassified Opinion On Bulk Email Collection Details More Abuse By The NSA
- FBI Uses Invitation To Investigate One Email As An Excuse To Dig Through Multiple Email Accounts
- Lavabit To Release Code As Open Source, As It Creates Dark Mail Alliance To Create Even More Secure Email
- How Is Consumer Watchdog 'Helping' When It's Trying To Destroy Services Consumers Find Useful
- Mayor Bloomberg Uses Private Email To Avoid FOI Requests; Has No Plans To Retain Archive Of Office, NYPD Emails