While banks used to give away useless junk to open an account (years ago, I remember getting "an electric broom"), it appears they're now going upscale. Banks and other companies seem to have recognized the craze surrounding what people will do to get free gadgets, and are starting to give away all sorts of free electronics if you just sign up, from free iPods to free Blackberries (service not included, of course). It may be more expensive, but apparently, it works. What a shocker. Giving away stuff that people actually want gets them interested in other stuff. There are some other industries that need to learn this lesson as well.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- GoldieBlox Pulls Beastie Boys Video, Promises To Drop Legal Dispute
- It's Not Such A Wonderful Public Domain, As Paramount Plans To Block 'It's A Wonderful Life' Sequel
- The MPAA's Plan To Piss Off Young Moviegoers And Make Them Less Interested In Going To Theaters
- Shocking Revelation: Websites For Cheating On Your Spouse Are BSing You
- Internet Archive Fire Shows Vulnerability Of The World's Online Memory