Here's yet another bizarre and somewhat pointless study suggesting that the mobile market's best bet for growth is in 3G offerings -- as if anyone was seriously expecting that the growth opportunities were in older, more obsolete technologies. Clearly, the growth opportunities are to move people towards 3G systems. However, it might not be as easy as the report makes it out to be. After that initial non-prediction, it goes on to suggest the typical huge growth numbers that these analysts love to come up with. There's just one problem... a completely different study shows that people haven't quite figured out why they need 3G, and they're not rushing to sign up. Even those who understand the benefits are confused and somewhat scared about all the features on the phones. While some operators are realizing this and trying to do a better job training new users before they walk out the door with a phone, others are simply clueless. The real issue is that too many carriers still seem to be doing 3G for 3G's sake. That is, they're doing it because they know that's their best bet for growth... but they haven't stopped to figure out what people actually use mobile phones for, and how a 3G offering might really be valuable.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- T-Mobile Bucks Another Crazy Mobile Phone Trend: Dumps International Roaming Charges
- How Ruling On WiFi Snooping Means Security Researchers May Face Criminal Liability
- DailyDirt: Get Your Own Satellite
- Court Says WiFi Isn't Radio Because It's Not Audio; Therefore WiFi Sniffing Can Be Wiretapping
- DailyDirt: Is There A Better Word For Wireless?