While some are still waiting for ICANN to make a decision on the .mobi domain, the folks at dotMP, who simply skipped that whole process and got some random tiny nation to let them use the .mp domain, have now opened the .mp domain for (mobile) business. As with both of our original posts on the matter, it's still not at all clear why we need this. Mobile devices are getting smarter. Mobile networks are getting faster. The web continues to get more useful. Do we really need a forked web -- where some webpages are mobile only and others are computer only? Doesn't that seem to go in the wrong direction -- making more work for everyone? It seems that a much smarter idea is to continue to make devices better at displaying the same content in ways that match the device at hand. Separating out an entire mobile domain just seems like it will be more work for anyone with a website, and more confusion for anyone trying to find information while surfing from a mobile device.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- T-Mobile Bucks Another Crazy Mobile Phone Trend: Dumps International Roaming Charges
- How Ruling On WiFi Snooping Means Security Researchers May Face Criminal Liability
- DailyDirt: Get Your Own Satellite
- Court Says WiFi Isn't Radio Because It's Not Audio; Therefore WiFi Sniffing Can Be Wiretapping
- DailyDirt: Is There A Better Word For Wireless?