The Nigerian government likes to publicly announce every few months that they are about to crack down on 419 scammers. Then, they do nothing, more of the scams occur and the government again promises to crack down on the scams. It's pretty clear, however, that this is not going to happen. The Register is noting that, while about 200 Nigerians have been arrested around the world for taking part in 419 advanced fee fraud, not a single person in Nigeria has been arrested. The answer, not surprisingly, is that many of the scams are done by organized crime groups who have bribed government officials to look the other way. Still, next time the Nigerian government makes this claim (and they will), ask how many people they've actually arrested.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Scammy Company Trying To Get Writers For Major Sites To Engage In Pay-To-Link Arrangements
- Teenager Pays Hundreds Of Dollars For A Picture Of An Xbox One
- Watch One Kickstarter Creator Self-Destruct As People Call Him Out For Scam Project
- South Korean Spy Agency Allegedly Tried To Influence Presidential Vote - By Posting 1.2 Million Tweets
- And Here Comes The NSA-Themed Ransomware