It seems that Orrin Hatch is involved in just about every bizarre anti-consumer, pro-Hollywood piece of legislation these days. Just days after introducing his absolutely ridiculous and dangerous INDUCE act, Hatch's PIRATE Act has passed the Senate without debate and via a voice vote, so there's no record of which of your Senators just agreed to take your tax money to fight Hollywood's battles. If you don't remember, the PIRATE Act would let the FBI work on civil cases against copyright infringers. In other words, cases that should be between two private parties, will now be handled by the federal government, using your tax money. There's simply no justification for this, other than some Senators wanting to pay back their entertainment industry backers by doing their legal work for them -- using your money.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Mississippi Attorney General Jim Hood Thinks Google Is To Blame For Infringement On The Web
- Feds To FISC: Of Course We Don't Have To Share Our Full Legal Filings With Companies Suing Us Over NSA Transparency
- Kansas City Cops Tell Man They'll Kill His Dogs And Destroy His Home If Forced To Obtain A Search Warrant
- Most Big Internet Companies Speak Out For Major Surveillance Reform
- Witness In No Fly List Trial, Who Was Blocked From Flying To The Trial, Shows That DOJ Flat Out Lied In Court