It seems that Orrin Hatch is involved in just about every bizarre anti-consumer, pro-Hollywood piece of legislation these days. Just days after introducing his absolutely ridiculous and dangerous INDUCE act, Hatch's PIRATE Act has passed the Senate without debate and via a voice vote, so there's no record of which of your Senators just agreed to take your tax money to fight Hollywood's battles. If you don't remember, the PIRATE Act would let the FBI work on civil cases against copyright infringers. In other words, cases that should be between two private parties, will now be handled by the federal government, using your tax money. There's simply no justification for this, other than some Senators wanting to pay back their entertainment industry backers by doing their legal work for them -- using your money.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Feds Insist It Must Be Kept Secret Whether Or Not Plaintiff In No Fly List Trial Is Actually On The No Fly List
- Documents Show LA Sheriff's Department Hired Thieves, Statutory Rapists And Bad Cops
- Unarmed Man Charged With Assault Because NYC Police Shot At Him And Hit Random Pedestrians
- Judge In No Fly Case Explains To DOJ That It Can't Claim Publicly Released Info Is Secret
- German Court Says CEO Of Open Source Company Liable For 'Illegal' Functions Submitted By Community