Last year, there was a study saying that if you wanted to get someone's password, they would cough it up in exchange for a pen. It seems that things haven't gotten much better. A study in the UK shows that many people will cough up their mother's maiden name and their own birthdate to anyone who calls and asks. And, of those who know (a little) better, they can still be convinced to give up the info with a little social engineering. This isn't all that surprising. The other part of the study found that many people wouldn't notice if large sums of money were missing from their bank account. Considering that personal vigilance is one of the most important methods to combat identity theft, you can see why the crime is so popular these days.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Scammy Company Trying To Get Writers For Major Sites To Engage In Pay-To-Link Arrangements
- Teenager Pays Hundreds Of Dollars For A Picture Of An Xbox One
- Watch One Kickstarter Creator Self-Destruct As People Call Him Out For Scam Project
- South Korean Spy Agency Allegedly Tried To Influence Presidential Vote - By Posting 1.2 Million Tweets
- And Here Comes The NSA-Themed Ransomware