Well, I'd say the only big surprise on this one is that it's being done so openly. It seems that the US Government has created the Orwellian-named Information Awareness Office to build a huge computer system that will sift through all your private data to determine whether or not you might be a terrorist. They say, of course, that they're concerned about protecting people's privacy, but you can say whatever you want when you've got $200 million a year to build technology to spy on anyone and everyone. If the description of what they're planning to do isn't scary enough, check out their logo. This seems so over the top, my first thought was to check to see if it's April Fool's day. Unfortunately, it seems pretty real. This seems like a huge boondoggle that will make a lot of money for the companies chosen to supply the technology, but which will do little in the way of useful work in protecting anyone (though, it'll turn up all sorts of false positives while destroying individual privacy rights).
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- ACLU Calls For Ban On Nonlethal Weapons In Schools After Tased Student Ends Up In Coma
- Lightning Strikes Twice: Wannabe Murderer Butt-Dials His Almost-Victim
- Companies Developing Crowd Analysis Programs To Detect 'Abnormalities' In Behavior And Match Faces Against Giant Databases
- Facebook Needs To Learn It Can't Teach Tolerance By Acting As An Overzealous Censor
- Microsoft To Encrypt Data Center Links; Says NSA Hacking Would Be Unconstitutional