For years we've been saying that companies that focus on business models that involve pissing off their customers are only asking for trouble. Their argument is that they need to do that to make money, but my argument is that it's a losing battle. Pissing off your customers encourages new entrants to enter your market, and provide your customers what they want, without pissing them off. A creative business knows how to build a profitable company by offering people something they want, instead of forcing them into situations they hate. One of the companies that has increasingly been going down the wrong road lately is Yahoo! who has said repeatedly that they need to have more intrusive advertising in order to survive. The increasingly annoying advertising has opened up an opportunity for a new company to come along and offer a portal that promises no banner or pop-up advertising. I have to admit that I've become increasingly frustrated with my.yahoo, which is still my homepage (as it has been since 1996). I'm now going to give this new MyWay.com a shot.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Stopping 23andMe Will Only Delay The Revolution Medicine Needs
- Abusing The Surveillance Scandal To Punish Internet Freedom Even More
- Bruce Schneier On The Feudal Internet And How To Fight It
- US Free Trade Agreements Are Bad Not Just For The Economy, But For The Environment, Too
- James Clapper Thinks That NSA Employees Will Sell Out Our Nation After A Few Days Without A Paycheck