The Authors Guild is encouraging authors not to link to Amazon.com from their own websites. The Guild is angry that Amazon lists used book prices on the same page as new books. They feel this causes people to buy the used books, depriving the author of their rightful commission (I'm almost surprised the Authors Guild doesn't take after the recording and movie industries and somehow try to claim that reselling used books is illegal). I have to side with Amazon on this one. Their job is to provide the best possible service to their customers - and letting them know the same book is available used at a lower price seems like a completely reasonable service for them to offer. Again, I think an author should be happy that anyone is discovering their work - even if they buy the used version. It could bring them a new fan who will rush out to buy their next book brand new when it comes out.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- TSA Agent: Give Me That Toy Monkey Gun Or I'm Calling The Real Cops
- Feinstein And Rogers Try To Scare Americans With Ooga Booga Terrorism Threats
- Lessons Learned From Adam Lanza's Video Game Obsession: Blame Dance Dance Revolution
- Editorial Claims Houston Prosecutors Are Pushing Through Nearly 1,000 Sex Trafficking Indictments Every Day
- Where Is The 'Free Trade' In The TPP IP Chapter?