After waiting forever, ICANN finally got around to assigning the new top level domains. Someone here at Techdirt is associated with one of the companies that "won", so I won't be too harsh... However, this all seems a little pointless to me. First, people have been waiting for this forever. The delay had something to do with concerns over trademark questions, and yet, those haven't been answered at all. Then, while ICANN says they went through a large number of proposals before deciding which ones to chose, the results still seem incredibly arbitrary. To be honest, a lot of this has the feel of something that a lot of companies are hyping up, but which might not really be as big as everyone thinks it is.
If you liked this post, you may also be interested in...
- Feinstein And Rogers Try To Scare Americans With Ooga Booga Terrorism Threats
- Lessons Learned From Adam Lanza's Video Game Obsession: Blame Dance Dance Revolution
- Editorial Claims Houston Prosecutors Are Pushing Through Nearly 1,000 Sex Trafficking Indictments Every Day
- Where Is The 'Free Trade' In The TPP IP Chapter?
- Sandy Hook Video Game Prompts Everyone To Get Everything Wrong